FreeBSD 4.1 compile problems with 2.0.0a

Neil Long neil.long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 03:55:56 EDT 2000

> Got it. Its a config error, ../include/linux-include is needed but got
> dropped. The following two patches make argus-2.0.0a.tar.gz compile on
both the
> GENERIC and ARGUS kernels. I expect Neil is going to need to change them
> include 3.5 to make his laptop version work (I think 3.5 and 4.1 are
pretty
> close both being the latest in the two streams) though. We probably want
> identify how far back in the FreeBSD line we can go and still compile and
then
> stick in a test for the version number and come up with a "FreeBSD version
too
> old to run Argus needs at least version 3.x" error message to add to
configure.
> I have a set of 3.1 CDs at work I can pop them on a machine and see
> if it will work that far back.

I think GENERIC has had BPF configured in for a while now - they need it to
support a DHCP boot installation, can't remember when but there was lots of
'security impaired' chat on the lists.

I have  4.1-RELEASE and  3.5-STABLE boxes I can use. I also have a 2.2.8 box
and a 2.2.6 box still chugging along. The latter is now well over 800 days
uptime running Drawbridge but has no BPF configured in the kernel.

Given the release streams I think we should see if v2 works but not spend
effort to make it work on anything older than the 3-series.

Anyone running 5-CURRENT - the brave/foolhardy/bleeding-edge...?

If noone else has it available for testing I will build an OpenBSD box and
check it out but I have to play disk swapping for that.

P.S> Thanks for the ECR detector script Peter - we had a little stacheldraht
infection yesterday and it popped them up very nicely.

Neil