Argus Turning Around Second

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Oct 26 12:13:12 EDT 2000

Gentle People,
[With the subway series (Baseball World Series) underway
 here in New York, the baseball metaphors are flying, so
 the subject line is my contribution.]

Argus is looking pretty good.  We have one known major
bug in the argus left to fix, which is Mark P.'s fragment
bug.  I found Neil's bug today, so we are getting close.

With the major explosions out of the way, we should be
able to move through an argus data validation phase
pretty quickly.  How do people feel about this and how
would you guys like to proceed?

Ra Style Clients

The clients are shaping up nicely.  I believe that ra()
and rasort() are done, and so I'm starting the documentation
on these today.  I have the usage() lines for these
programs done, and starting on the man pages.  I'm planning
on having .html pages.  Anyone know of a man -> html
conversion program?

OK, the basic issue now is to come to some decisions as to
what clients will be in the core distribution.  Ra(), rasort(),
racount(), ragator() and raxml() are on the top of the list.

Ramon(), rapath(), rasrvstats() are important but they need
some work to mature.

Ra(), rasort() and raxml() are pretty much done.  racount()
needs some more flexibility and thought (right now we have
a single format output and only report aggregated counts).

ragator() is ready but it needs a lot of documentation
even before we can all test its features.  It will be at the
core of many applications, so ......

Most of the clients are basic tools, collecting, aggregating,
sorting, printing.  We can build some interesting applications
with the tools that we have, but there are some missing parts.
Anyone care to identify some holes that we need to fill?

Do we need to beef up the data collection part?  Data
disposition tools?  Do we want to do a notification tool
based on some criteria?  Any ideas?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 17A
New York, New York  10022