1.8.1 and 2.0.0n differences

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Oct 9 15:12:40 EDT 2000

> Hey Russell,
>    I was under the impression that a broadcast address
> as the source is considered illegal by a router, so
> anything with a 255.255.255.255 source address should
> be local?  Did they come from a local MAC address?

	I don't think either our SSR or our Cisco look at source address/MAC
at all only destination unless there is an access list in place that tells it
to (although I could be wrong).

> Carter

	I'd guess this was a forged smurf attack (although its unclear how
the 255.255.255.255 packets got back to you unless there was a less than
carefull flow established in the hardware routing engines of the routers
in the way). With the source address being broadcast if you can get a machine
to reply to the packet it will nicely flood the net on the broadcast address.