Stats from argus logs

John A. Lauro jlauro at umich.edu
Thu Nov 2 10:07:03 EST 2000

I had 1.8.1 running for awhile now, and it's been storing logs, and
even had to go a pull some data to help track down a hacker.  Argus
does seem to be the best mix of data with small log size.

Is there an easy way to run statistics from argus logs?  Does anyone
have any sample scripts, or can recommend a package that works with
Argus logs?  I need to break out traffic patterns several different
ways....

Speaking of network statistics, has anyone looked at NeTraMet?  It
seems to be better suited for collecting statistics for custom
reports on network traffic (by creating a SRL file for each type of
report). However, that is assuming you know what reports you need in
advance, and don't change your mind... and it also is not good for
just plain loggin unless you have lots of disk space...  If anyone
knows a way to run a SRL file against an argus log file, that would
be ideal, or some other way to analyse the data for reports.

John Lauro                          email: jlauro at flint.umich.edu
University of Michigan - Flint             jlauro at umich.edu
Information Technology Services
303 E. Kearsley St.                 phone: (810) 762-3123
Flint, MI  48502                      fax: (810) 766-6805