Argus 2.0 wishes

Neil Long neil.long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 12:33:37 EST 2000

Perhaps it would help if I try and indicate when I would want to send
signals??

The argus daemon did tend to grow rather big and reserved a lot of swap
space (1.7beta) so I got in to the bad habit (!) of killing it every hour
when I mv'd the data file however in an ideal world.....

a) Clean shutdown - currently SIGHUP but the system has very high uptimes
(where's the wood...)

b) rotating data files - is mv the best method or is there something to be
gained by sending a signal as Peter suggested for flushing all records? It
is always a trade off between file size and frequent processing for
portscans, etc

c) change of filter file / configuration file - need to change the internal
tables in argus but what about existing flows which may now be ignored?

d) debug modes - SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2 - I haven't played with these

For IDS I would normally merge for specific hosts/nets/ports and then rasort
or raconnections so patching over the cracks might be more important to some
than others - for traffic flow a 24hr cycle may be better whereas 30mins or
1hour would be more typical for IDS?

Neil