Argus 2.0 wishes

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Mar 16 11:35:09 EST 2000

	In addition to the signal to roll the log, I want argus to keep state
(in a file in the file system) of what the current log file is as well so
that I can do a restart by just restarting argus. If there is a file with
a log file name in the file system then argus appends to that on the assumption
this is a restart after a crash (very rare I admit!), if the file doesn't
exist then the config file rules are used to create a new log file name. That
means that I get log files with a known filename (in my case like this:

argus.2000_03_16_06.gz

even it argus crashes and restarts at some point during the day. I intend on
extending the 06 (the hour) to hour_minute for those rolling logs on less than
hour boundarys. This file name layout means I can sort the directory (in Perl
for instance) and feed a series of in order argus files to ra etc. for
processing automatically.