Argus 2.0 wishes

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Mar 10 11:05:43 EST 2000

Hey Peter,
   Well, argus doesn't report the ICMP byte counts.
In order to convey some critical ICMP data for
redirect and unreachable ICMP flows, I borrowed the
src and dst byte count fields.  I can fix this, but
it will change the format of some ICMP flows, and
so the change will have to be in 1.9 or 2.0, whichever
is next.

   The frag record is actually pretty interesting.
It is generated when a fragment could not be mapped
to a parent flow because the 0 offset packet was not
seen.  This is the basis of a fragment covert channel.
This condition also happens when packets are naturally
dropped in the network, so you should take the indication
with a grain of salt.  The record is trying to help you
to know the nature of the problem, the record that
we generate has some fragment reassembly metrics in it.

   The fields are:

> Thu 03/09 05:52:25 frag  ip  203.108.46.136        ->
> 142.58.230.123

                        Pkts   Bytes     Bytes     Max Bytes
               Frag ID  recv   expected  observed  per Pkt    State
                 54016  pk  1  ex    0   ob  156   max  156   TIM

The bytes expected is extracted from the first packet, and so
if the first packet isn't received this value can't be supplied.