Problem with argus

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Jan 14 09:38:00 EST 2000

Hey Carmen,
   The -C option only applies to the ra() command,
so the Argus output file should have all the records
that involve the ICMP traffic from 192.168.1.40.

First look to see if Argus is working properly by
searching for ICMP Argus records from your host.

   ra -nr 'argus.file' icmp and host 192.168.1.40

should produce all the argus records that report the
icmp traffic to and from 192.168.1.40.  If there are
records in the 'argus.file' then the policy filter
has something to work with.

   The ra() filter below is equivalent to the
Cisco filter that you have in your policy file.

   ra -nr 'argus.file' icmp and dst host 192.168.1.40

If this command generates output then there are records
for the Cisco filter to find.  If there are no records
and there should be, then the bug is in Argus().  If
there are records and the Cisco filter doesn't find
them then the bug is in Ra()

   If you have an 'argus.file' that has records that
your Cisco filter doesn't find, then send mail and
we'll look further.

Carter