detecting Solaris tojans with Argus

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Jan 6 13:37:16 EST 2000

Hey Peter,
   Thanks for the perl script.  I'll add it to the
1.8 release as contrib software and hopefully Mark
can get it on the CMU server, ASAP.

   For the benefit of the SANS group, Argus generates
a comprehensive IP network audit trail which can be
used, among a number of things, to detect some network
security problems.  Argus does report on unsoliticited
ICMP echo responses, and as such will record these
events in its normal output.  One of the big
features of Argus data is its persistence, and many
sites store their Argus data for historical reference,
especially to support Security Incident Response.  A tool
like Peter's can scan a complete set of Argus data, which
as an example could contain a sites complete interaction
with the Internet for an entire year, and pinpoint the
historical time in which a trojan was installed and
detected by an interested party.  This, as you can
imagine, could be a rather valuable tool.

   If it is possible to get a description of how a
trojan would respond to an ECR packet, we can integrate
trojan detection into Argus itself, which would also be
a valuable thing.  This way you can detect trojans
passively, and in a comprehensive fashion.

   Thanks again Peter, and hopefully Mark can get
your stuff, along with this mail, on the server soon.

Principal Consultant/Engineer
Nortel Networks
320 Park Avenue  16th Floor
New York, New York 10022