unused bit attack alert <fwd>

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 23 15:55:13 EST 2000

Appended message forwarded from Bugtraq -- apologies to those of you
who have already seen it.

Hmmm...  what does argus do with these bits -- I am guessing (I have
not had a look at the source yet) that it simply ignores them.  I am
wondering if there should not be another state added to the tcp state
machine model in argus -- namely ILLEGAL for packets with illegal sets
of flags set.  This would include anything with the two unused bits set
and other illegal combinations.

Such packets would show up in ra as status ILL, or possibly BAD ;-)
This would be great for detecting OS fingerprinting and things like
Xmas scans.

Any thoughts ?

Russell.