Argus 1.8 Code Freeze Tarfile (fwd)

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 16 17:57:04 EDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:23:07 -0700 (PDT) Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca>
wrote:

> 	This sounds like a reasonable compromise. You might want to alias
> user1 and user2 for the periodic report too (I don't know how you generate
> one or if you can from the keyboard).

kill -USR1 <pid>

 I was looking at the SYSV (Solaris) vs
> FreeBSD man pages and signal action is different. It looks like Solaris will
> take the default action (which would be exit in this case) but FreeBSD will
> return from the signal (which is what it is doing) and I don't see an obvious
> way to convince it to exit instead.

There are at least two major models of signal handling from what I
remember (BSD and Sys V) now Posix have added another layer.  When
investigating things for NeTraMet Project a while back I decided to
follow POSIX since most systems offer some form of POSIX compatibility
mode.

Again with the NeTraMet project I developed a configuation parser which
set default configurations for NeTraMet and NeMaC. With NeMaC there
were several functions that you could tie to signals and my
configuration file allowed you to say things like:

Signal USR1 reload_ruleset.
Signal USR2 print_status.
Signal INT stop_leave_rules_running
Signal TERM stop_kill_ruleset