ra output intrepretation

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Jun 24 08:48:18 EDT 1999

Hey Russell,
   The detail and the non-detail argi are consistent
in their reporting, a ping volley and then a TCP
packet with a reset.  It should be impossible for the
probe to react packets that it promiscuously reads,
as these packets don't go to the communication stacks,
so lets eliminate that up front.

   I believe that you are seeing connectivity between
these two machines, on both ICMP and TCP protocols.
Since the "hidden" machine's responses are what would
be predicted by protocol, there isn't any evidence
to suggest that you shouldn't trust the argi() data.
And since you see evidence on two independent protocols,
the best conclusion is that the filter scheme is
inappropriate for the policy.

   If this really beings to bug you and you want to
dig further, I would recommend two additional things
that I would look at to additionally validate this
conclusion.  Use the -g option on the ra() to see
what the delay is for the Pings and the TCP packets.
They should be order of magnitude the same.  This may
suggest that the same target machine is being hit.
Also look at the TTL's for the packets.  Both the
source and destination TTL's should be the same for
both flows.  If they aren't the same then you might
be able to say that more than one host is involved.
Use fullra() to get the TTL values.

   The TCP flags for this connection are completely
predictable. This is  ecause so many access control filter
schemes only filter TCP SYN packets (the notion being
that if you can't establish a TCP connection then TCP
is useless.  This is of course not true, as covert
channels can readily be established through these types
of filter firewalls).  In order to exploit this filter
characteristic, some scanning elements send TCP data packets
as a probe packet (no SYN bit set) since they will have
a better chance of getting to the target.  Actually this
is the preferred scanning technique, since there is no host
support for indicating that a "stray" packet was received
on a non-exisiting TCP, and so its pretty much undetectable
from the host's perspective.  Had it been a SYN packet,
there would have been an entry in the host TCP table for
a period of time that could have been reported on.

   This scenario is readily seen from the detail argus
records. In detail mode you get specific indications of
the state of the TCP with each output record.  In the first
TCP record seen in the detail mode output, the first state
is "EST".  So there was no connection establishment
handshake.  If this had been a normal TCP request, you
would have seen either a "REQ" or "ACC" indication for
the first TCP output record indicating the "SYN" or
"SYN_ACK" states respectively.

   I believe that you have bumped into the number one
use of Argus for site security; access policy enforcement
validation.  I'll bet you've got a tiny problem
with your filters.

Hope this was helpful,

Carter