Ethernet splitters

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 28 18:43:57 EDT 1999

	Since this is of potential interest to both lists (although possibly
redundant since I expect we are all on bugtraq where it originated) a source
of Ethernet taps (like an optical tap but for 10/100 ethernet) to isolate your
IDS from the sniffed segment. I just ordered a pair, they are a little pricy
around $600 Canadian (for 10baseT could probably use a $2 dual monostable
to create the 100 nsec pulse every 20 msec to fake link, 100 may be more
difficult) but this is built in the case and ready to go which means I don't
have to and I'm not paying ...

<snip>
recreates both rx on a full duplex link, and funnels them off to two twisted
pair cables respectively.  PLug these two, or as many as you want really,
into a switch that allows port spanning/mirroring, and voila.  I've done
this in many situations, and it works great.

http://www.shomiti.com

I dont work for them, I just use their stuff.

Blue