Ethernet splitters

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Aug 4 09:59:52 EDT 1999

Hey Peter,
Two things.  First, as you notice the number of packets
received by Argus and the number racount packet counts
indicates that Argus is not reporting a few packets.
These are mostly ICMP packets that are in the "missing"
category.  I'm working on this one.

Second, Argus is not trying to report accurate
total datagram bytes.  We report on payload bytes for
TCP, UDP and generic IP flows, so no ethernet header
bytes, or IP header bytes in these reports, and we do
not report any packet bytes for ICMP flows, as we are
overloading the data fields trying to get the source and
ICMP indications in the limited size we have for Argus
reports.

So, if Cisco routers are reporting total bytes on the link,
then we've got 14 bytes of ethernet header, 20 bytes of IP header
and TCP (20), UDP (8) and generic IP flows (0), gives us
an average overhead correction between 32-54 bytes/packet.
The minimum ICMP packet payload is 28 bytes, so depending on
the traffic mix, your missing 2.5 gig is not bad.

A forumla like this gives us (assuming ethernet headers were
included in the Cisco report, and no IP options):

  minimum missing bytes =  46734458( total pkts) *
                  ((14 ethernet + 20 IP header) +
                  (%ICMP*28 + %TCP*20 + %UDP*8 + %IP*0)

with a traffic mix like 5% ICMP, 90% TCP and 5% UDP gives:
  minimum missing bytes = 46734458 * ((34) + 19.80)
                        = 2514313840.40

which is not too bad.  I'm sure if we had real percentages then
we would be able to get a  better estimate.

Hope this helps,

Carter