strange argus records

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Apr 16 12:24:17 EDT 1999

Hey Alexander,
   Hmmmmm, you may have tickled a bug in the 1.7e TCP
source packet count logic.  I use to see this with argus-1.5
where occasionally we would get a report of a TCP connection with
an ungodly number of packets from the source.  In fact,
the 1.5 ra(), actually had some logic to check for ungodly
numbers.  I thought we had fixed that in 1.[67], but you
know how bugs can be.

   To answer your question about certain kinds of input causing
problems.  I'm sure that the answer is yes, but I think we've
got all the ones we know about in the 1.8 code.

   You can suppress the 'unas' mapping with the -nn option (2 -n's)
which will show you the actual protocol number that was in the
packet stream.  This might help to rule out data corruption, which
has a probability, but I feel like that number is really low.

   We are reporting that the flow had IP Timestamp Options set, which
seems interesting in its own right.     Do you have any other crazy
looking records that may be clustered around this one in the file?
Especially with the T indicator set?

Carter