[MyAppleMenu] Sep 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 10 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Following Apple's iPhone 6 Launch, Sprint Introduces New 'iPhone For Life' Plan ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/following-apples-iphone-6-launch-sprint-introduces-new-iphone-for-life-plan>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Following Apple’s unveiling of the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, Sprint has introduced a new plan that allows subscribers to get the latest iPhone models every couple of years.

*** Jony Ive, The Man Behind Apple Watch Design, Says Device Went Through ‘Millions’ Of Versions ***
<http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2014/09/jony-ive-the-man-behind-apple-watch-design-says-device-went-through-millions-of-versions/>
ABC News

> “We worked extremely hard to make it an object that would, one, be desirable but to be personal because we don’t want to wear the same watch,” Ive said. “One of the reasons it takes us a long time [is] because, I think, people are very discerned. A lot of people don’t wear a watch, at the moment.”

*** Apple's Swift Programming Language Reaches GM Status On iOS ***
<http://www.imore.com/apples-swift-programming-language-reaches-gm-status-ios?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> Apple has just announced that its Swift programming language, which it first introduced at WWDC 2014 in June, has now reached GM status for iOS. This means that third party developers can now submit apps that use Swift to the iTunes App Store.

*** Apple Watch Update: More Details And Hands-On Impressions ***
<https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-watch-update-more-details-and-hands-on-97091024129.html>
David Pogue, Yahoo!

> For example, when you want to leave a party, tap three times on your watch’s screen. Your spouse feels the same tapping pattern on her wrist, elsewhere in the room. Or you could send a silent “I love you” tap to your spouse’s wrist when you’re thousands of miles apart.

*** Apple Said To Reap Fees From Banks In New Payment System ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-10/apple-said-to-reap-fees-from-banks-in-new-payment-system.html>
Elizabeth Dexheimer, Bloomberg

> Apple Inc. will reap fees from banks when consumers use an iPhone in place of credit and debit cards for purchases, a deal that gives the handset maker a cut of the growing market for mobile payments, according to three people with knowledge of the arrangement.

*** Apple Releases iTunes 11.4 In Anticipation Of iOS 8 Launch ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-releases-itunes-114-anticipation-ios-8-launch?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

*** A Look At Apple’s ‘Reachability’ One-hand Mode For Larger iPhone 6 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/09/a-look-at-apples-reachability-one-hand-mode-for-larger-iphone-6-video/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple is calling it “Reachability” and with it allows users to double tap the Home button to shift the entire UI down to put UI elements at the top of the display in thumb’s reach.

In my opinion, Reachability is an ugly hack.

*** Tim Cook: Steve Jobs' DNA Will Always Be The Foundation Of Apple ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/09/tim-cook-steve-jobs-dna/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> "I think about Steve a lot. I love Steve dearly. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. This morning, being here, I especially thought about him and I think he would be incredibly proud to see the company that he left us -- which I think was one of his greatest gifts to mankind, the company itself -- be doing what it's doing today. I think he's smiling right now."

*** Apple Revamps iCloud Storage Prices With 1 TB Costing $19.99 A Month ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-revamps-icloud-storage-prices-1-tb-costing-1999-month?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> Apple has revamped its price structure for its iCloud online data service, offering users price reductions and allowing them to purchase up to 1 TB of storage. It may not come close to Dropbox's current price drops, but Apple's at least being more competitive than it was before.

*** How Apple Pay Works And Why It Matters For Developers ***
<http://clover-developers.blogspot.in/2014/09/apple-pay.html?_sm_au_=iVVl3qD8DH2F5lkH>
Clover Developers Blog

> At Clover we're particularly excited because we believe it opens up lightweight apps that can interact and transact with small-and-medium brick-and-mortar restaurants. By lightweight, I mean that these apps won't need to maintain a user database, require user logins, worry about getting cards on file, or being an unwilling payment aggregator. i.e., it will be at least 10x easier. I expect a huge amount of innovation in real-world mobile commerce as a result over the coming years because of the revolution that Apple Pay is starting.

*** Apple Pay Aims To Disrupt Payment Industry ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15056?rss>
Adam C. Engst and Rich Mogull, TidBITS

> With Apple Pay, Apple’s self-described mission is to replace your wallet, enabling you to pay a bill by holding an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, or the forthcoming Apple Watch, up to a payment sensor. No more fumbling with credit cards and signing receipts, or worrying about having enough cash. In theory, at least, Apple Pay both improves the payment experience and brings new levels of security and privacy to credit card payments.

*** Apple Introduces iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2604684/apple-introduces-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus.html>
Anthony Domanico, Macworld

> The standard iPhone 6 now sports a 4.7-inch display, while the iPhone 6 Plus comes with a massive 5.5-inch screen, putting it squarely in “phablet” territory. Apple has also bumped the storage up to 128GB on both models, and dropped the 32GB option altogether.

*** Apple Previews The New Apple Watch ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15057?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> The Apple Watch will have a wide variety of software watch faces, many of them customizable with what watchmakers call “complications.” Apple Watch complications include stopwatches and stock reports, along with phases of the moon and upcoming meetings. The screen, of course, is touch-sensitive, but not just multi-touch. The Apple Watch screens offer force sensitivity, so it can distinguish between a tap and hard press, which Apple calls a “force touch.”

*** iOS 8 To Launch On September 17 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2604734/ios-8-to-launch-on-september-17.html>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Apple on Tuesday announced that the next version of its mobile operating system will officially launch on September 17th, just ahead of the company's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets.

*** The iPod Classic Plays Its Last ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2604690/the-ipod-classic-plays-its-last.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> With the death of the iPod classic, we witness the last of the original 5GB white iPod’s line. No more hard drive. No more squarish screen. No more wheel control.

*** Zone By Mathias Énard – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/10/zone-mathias-enard-review-nicholas-lezard>
Nicholas Lzard, The Guardian

> I am in two minds about this epic single-sentence story of mankind's savagery, hailed as one of the most significant novels of the century so far.

*** How Fake Is Food Styling? ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3034644/food-week/how-fake-is-food-styling>
Co.Design