[MyAppleMenu] Oct 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 28 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** The Retina iMac And Its 5K Display…as A Gaming Machine? ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/the-retina-imac-and-its-5k-display-as-a-gaming-machine/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> So that, dear readers, is precisely what I did when my review iMac arrived on Saturday. I unboxed it, snapped photos—after a few years working at Ars I now compulsively photograph basically every piece of gear I unbox, sometimes without even realizing I’m doing so—and then fired up the Boot Camp assistant to get Windows 8.1 installed.

*** Duracell In The Age Of The iPhone ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/duracell-age-iphone?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter#>
Vauhini Vara, New Yorker

> Yet the changes in the sector signal the difficulty of sustaining single-purpose electronics in the age of the smartphone. As if to underscore this, Duracell’s Web site lists some of the devices in which you might use its CopperTop AA batteries: toys, remote controls, flashlights, calculators, clocks, and radios. The use of batteries in toys will surely live on­ (a colleague with three children wrote to me about the P. & G. announcement saying, “As someone who buys millions of Duracell batteries a week, I’m surprised.”) but smartphones can perform many of the same functions as the other listed devices.

*** Alibaba's Jack Ma Also Interested In Bringing Apple Pay To China ***
<http://www.imore.com/alibabas-jack-ma-interested-bringing-apple-pay-china?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Harish Jonnalagadda, iMore

*** Microsoft Unveils Office 365 SDK And APIs For iOS App Extensibility ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/28/microsoft-unveils-office-365-sdk-and-apis-for-ios-app-extensibility-?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
AppleInsider

> Microsoft on Tuesday revealed a multi-pronged initiative to supply developers with new Office 365 APIs and open-source SDKs, which can be used to tap into the company's cloud-based productivity platform for deep iOS app integration.

*** T-Mobile’s Legere Says Apple’s Phablet Selling Much Better Than Expected ***
<http://recode.net/2014/10/27/t-mobiles-legere-code-mobile-1/>
Jems Temple, Re/code

> T-Mobile’s outspoken Chief Executive John Legere revealed that Apple’s new iPhone 6 Plus has sold at far higher levels than the carrier was anticipating.

Perhaps phones with large screens is not just an Asia phenomenon.

*** Tim Cook: iPod Classic Was Discontinued Due To Unavailability Of Parts, Engineering A New Version Wasn’t Worth It ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/27/tim-cook-ipod-classic-was-discontinued-due-to-unavailability-of-parts-enginnering-a-new-version-wasnt-worth-it/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> According to the [Tim Cook], some parts needed to manufacture the device were no longer available, and the cost of engineering a new version that didn’t require those parts wasn’t worth the effort due to low user demand.

*** Tim Cook: Apple Pay Received Over 1 Million Activations In First 72 Hours, Bigger Than All Contactless Competitors Combined ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/27/tim-cook-apple-pay-1-million-activations/>
Joe Rossignol, 9 To 5 Mac

> Cook added that the mobile payments platform is bigger than all contactless competitors combined, presumably including rival service Google Wallet.

*** Apple’s Tim Cook Calls On Alabama To Protect Gay Rights ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/technology/apples-tim-cook-calls-on-alabama-to-protect-gay-rights.html?referrer=&_r=0>
Associated Press

> The chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, challenged his home state, Alabama, to do more to protect the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, saying it was too slow to guarantee the rights of minorities during the civil rights era and that it was now too slow to ensure the rights of people based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Mr. Cook’s comments came as he and seven others, including the University of Alabama’s football coach, Nick Saban, were inducted into the Alabama Academy of Honor.

*** Superimpose For iOS Lets You Blend And Superimpose Your Photos ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/27/superimpose-for-ios-lets-you-blend-and-superimpose-your-photos/?ncid=rss_truncated&utm_medium=twitter.com&utm_source=applenws.com>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Superimpose does a first class job of taking part of one photo and adding it to another. It's great for removing your best friend from a picture taken in your living room and putting them at Niagara Falls, or taking the head of one person (or your dog) and placing it on another body.

*** The AirDrop Mess On OS X And iOS 8 ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-airdrop-mess-on-os-x-and-ios-8/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** The Mishmash UI Of Yosemite ***
<http://shapeof.com/archives/2014/10/the_mishmash_ui_of_yosemite.html>
Gus Mueller, The Shape Of Everything

> There are some great things about Yosemite, but there are so many little things that confuse me.

*** Apple Responds To CVS & Rite Aid Blocking Apple Pay For CurrentC ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/27/apple-statement-apple-pay/>
Zac Hill, 9 To 5 Mac

> "We are working to get as many merchants as possible to support this convenient, secure and private payment option for consumers. Many retailers have already seen the benefits and are delighting their customers at over 220,000 locations."

*** All Office 365 Subscribers To Get Free Unlimited OneDrive Cloud Storage Space ***
<http://www.imore.com/all-office-365-subscribers-get-free-unlimited-onedrive-cloud-storage-space?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** The Real Reason Some Merchants Are Blocking Apple Pay… For Now ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15192?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Rich Mogull, TidBITS

> It’s no exaggeration to say that most merchants hate the credit card brands and the banks that support them, but consumer demand forces them to accept credit cards anyway. Retailers have been looking for a way out for decades.

*** FileVault Bug Makes Yosemite Pause Or Hang At Login ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/10/27/filevault-bug-makes-yosemite-pause-or-hang-at-login/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> If you are noticing this problem with your Mac after upgrading to Yosemite, then you can likely fix the problem by turning FileVault off and then back on again.

*** Floating Feasts ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/floating-feasts?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter>
David Owen, New Yorker