[MyAppleMenu] Oct 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 1 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** It Just Works ***
<http://rustyshelf.org/2014/10/01/it-just-works/>
Rusty Rants

> Tim Cook keeps telling us that ‘Only Apple’ could do the amazing things it does. I just wish that Apple would slow down their breakneck pace and spend the time required to build stable software that their hardware so desperately needs.

*** As PayPal Spins Off, Apple Pay Signals New Era At Cash Register ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/technology/apple-pay-signals-new-era-at-cash-register.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mike Isaac, New York Times

> Not a single purchase has been made with Apple’s new payment system, Apple Pay, which will allow people to pay for everyday goods with their smartphone.
> But the service, expected in the coming weeks, already has the technology industry scrambling to profit from a future in which apps could regularly replace cash, checks and credit cards.

*** A Rare Look At Design Genius Jony Ive: The Man Behind The Apple Watch ***
<http://www.vogue.com/1415025/apple-design-genius-jonathan-ive/>
Robert Sullivan, Vogue

> Ive has a calming presence, like the Apple campus itself, whose very address, Infinite Loop, lulls you into a sense of Zen-ness. In the courtyard, trays of beautiful food—grass-fed steaks and fresh-made curries and California-born hot sauces—lead Apple employees out toward the open-air seating, away from the white cafeteria that might be described as a luxurious spa for the terminally nerdy. White is the color of choice at Apple HQ as in the Apple product line. It is through this white, with its clarity, its dust-hiding lack of distraction, that you have already met Jonathan Ive.

*** Call The Plumber: How To Teach Siri About Your Relationships ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2689247/siri-call-the-plumber-quick-and-other-ios-relationship-tricks.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Apple Calls On Developers To Submit Yosemite Apps To Mac App Store ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-calls-developers-submit-yosemite-apps-mac-app-store?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> As OS X Yosemite is nearing release, Apple is now calling on developers to submit apps that are optimized for and compatible with the new OS for review in the Mac App Store. The call for app submissions come on the heels of Apple making a gold master build of OS X Yosemite for developers to download earlier today.

*** iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations For City Of Hope Medical Center ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/01/itunes-store-donations-city-of-hope/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

*** Apple Releases OS X Yosemite GM Candidate 1.0 To Developers ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-releases-os-x-yosemite-gm-candidate-10-developers?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> Apple has released OS X Yosemite GM Candidate 1.0 to developers in what may be one of the final such builds before the Mac operating system is launched to the public.

So, an October release of the new OS X for your Mac is very likely.

*** Apple's iPhone 6-Laden Q4 And 2014 Year-end Earnings Due On October 20 ***
<http://www.imore.com/apples-iphone-6-laden-q4-and-2014-year-end-earnings-due-october-20?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Derek Kessier, iMore

*** Android And iPhone Keyboard Apps To Turbocharge Your Typing ***
<http://m.wsj.com/articles/android-and-iphone-keyboard-apps-to-turbo-charge-your-typing-1412101513?mobile=y&mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories>
Joanna Stern, Wall Street Journal

> One day my grandchildren will gather around my dusty collection of gadgets and stare with bewilderment at the small hardware keyboards found on the first generations of smartphones. They'll laugh and ask if the phones also had to be attached to a windmill to work.

*** Built For iOS 8, DateStamper Lets You Apply Date Stamps To Photos ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/built-for-ios-8-datestamper-lets-you-apply-date-stamps-to-photos/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> DateStamper brings back old memories for me, but it is, first and foremost, a handy iOS 8 utility to apply date (and time) stamps to photos. It looks good, it gets the job done, and it's nicely integrated with Apple's Photos app.

*** The New Mac Pro Collects Dust ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-new-mac-pro-collects-dust/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> The design of the Mac Pro is such that it’s going to pick up any dust on your desk.

*** Why Are Chicken, Lamb, Pork And Beef The 'Normal' Meats? ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29427295>
Tom Heyden, BBC

> Rabbits, goats and horses are familiar animals to those in the UK and the US but rarely appear on a meat-eater's plate. Why is there so much conservatism when it comes to eating particular meats?

*** Elevating Dinner For One ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/magazine/elevating-dinner-for-one.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytmag&_r=0>
Tamar Adler, New York Times

> At their best, solitary meals take advantage of solitude. My most straightforward and happiest involve only basic cooking and mostly arranging of elements that, because I don’t have to seek consensus at the table, can be as irreverent as my tastes are. It feels strange to truly accept that, for once, you can listen to no one, making combinations that are right for only you. But once you get used to it, it’s shockingly freeing.

*** Kilifi Creek ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/01/kilifi-creek-lionel-shriver-bbc-short-story-2014-winner?CMP=twt_gu>
Lionel Shriver, The Guardian

*** Your Inner Drone: The Politics Of The Automated Future ***
<http://blog.longreads.com/2014/09/30/your-inner-drone-the-politics-of-the-automated-future/?utm_content=buffer78848&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Nicholas Carr, Longreads