[MyAppleMenu] Nov 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 15 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Yosemite Kills Third-party SSD Support ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/yosemite-kills-third-party-ssd-support-7000035765/>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

> Apple has, without warning, removed support for third-party SSDs in OS X 10.10 Yosemite, leaving anyone who uses one as a boot drive and has TRIM enabled with a Mac that won't boot.
> While this is unlikely to be a problem for the average Mac user, for high-end Mac users such as filmmakers and videographers running customized systems it's a serious problem.

*** Review: Space Age Is Pixel-perfect Nostalgia ***
<http://www.imore.com/review-space-age-pixel-perfect-nostalgia>
Serenity Caldwell, iMore

> I love the story. I love the music. The design, the atmosphere, the characters, the dialogue. It's hard to find anything about this game I actively dislike. Even its replay value is pretty great — Space Age offers special achievements at each stage for finding bonus objects, or completing a puzzle in a certain way, each carefully hinted at in their titles.

*** One Week With My Retina iMac ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/11/one-week-with-my-retina-imac/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> The long and short of it: Yep, it’s faster. In many cases, quite a bit faster. It’s not as fast as an eight-core Mac Pro when it comes to multi-core tests, but that 4GHz clock speed means this thing cooks at single-core tasks.

*** Dash API Docs Is The Reference Every iOS App Developer Needs ***
<http://www.imore.com/dash-api-docs-reference-every-developer-needs>
Derek Kessler, iMore

*** Six Useful Text Management Panels In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/11/14/six-useful-text-management-panels-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> When typing out documents in OS X you might resort to the services offered by Microsoft Word and or Apple’s Pages, as these have convenient tools for adjusting the type face, accessing special characters, and otherwise manipulating your text; however, in addition there are a number of built-in panels in OS X that can give you similar access to features like special characters, word suggestions, and dictionary lookup of word selections. Being built-in, these can work even in programs that do not have their own obvious text manipulation controls.

*** Apple’s iOS Apps Are Bloated; And How Many Gigs Do You Get On A 16 GB iOS Device? ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/apples-ios-apps-are-bloated-and-how-many-gigs-do-you-get-on-a-16-gb-ios-device/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Book Review: ‘The Meaning Of Human Existence’ By Edward O. Wilson ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-the-meaning-of-human-existence-by-edward-o-wilson/2014/11/14/deffe5bc-548f-11e4-809b-8cc0a295c773_story.html>
Scott Russell Sanders, Washington Post

> Ironically, the religious faiths that are the chief source of this skepticism are themselves a product of evolution, Wilson tells us in this slender volume, which has been short-listed for this year’s National Book Award in nonfiction. Following Darwin’s lead, he argues that natural selection operates not only at the individual level but also at the level of groups. Throughout our evolutionary history, those groups that bonded most firmly against outsiders enjoyed greater reproductive success — and religion is the most potent binding force that human cultures have produced.

*** Extreme Wealth Is Bad For Everyone—Especially The Wealthy ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120092/billionaires-book-review-money-cant-buy-happiness>
Michael Lewis, New Republic

> And I think it is: there is a growing awareness that the yawning gap between rich and poor is no longer a matter of simple justice but also the enemy of economic success and human happiness. It’s not just bad for the poor. It’s also bad for the rich. It’s funny, when you think about it, how many rich people don’t know this. But they are not idiots; they can learn.

*** The Doughnut Burger Makes Sense – Apart From The Doughnut Bit ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2014/nov/14/zoe-williams-saturday-sketch-doughnut-burger>
Zoe Williams, The Guardian

> It was mid-afternoon when I went into my first Hungry Horse, on a roundabout in Telford, and I was starving. I actually started on the chips before the photographer had got his lenses sorted. “Don’t eat those!” said his eyes, beseechingly. “You’ll never finish the burger!” He had only just met me, and couldn’t have known that I finish everything.

*** The American Lover By Rose Tremain Review – Loners, London And Lust ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/15/the-american-lovers-by-rose-tremain-review-loners-lust-london>
Gerard Woodward, The Guardian