[MyAppleMenu] May 16, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 16 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Daily App: FilePane Is A Versatile Multi-tool Utility For OS X File Management ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/16/daily-app-filepane-is-a-versatile-multi-tool-utility-for-os-x-f/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> FilePane is handy Mac utility that simplifies the sometimes cumbersome task of managing your files. It's lightweight, sits in the menu bar and provides quick access to a variety of tasks such as resize image, convert text to PDF and more.

*** FooDo Kitchen (For iPad) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2458100,00.asp>
Fahmida Y. Rashid, PC Magazine

> The puzzles are easy, with good clues, and there are some interactive features. The graphics are adorable and cartoonish, and, since there are no time limits or text for players to try to decipher, FooDo Kitchen is perfectly suited for pre-schoolers.

*** EFF Marks Apple’s ‘Remarkable Improvement’ In Protecting Customer Data From Governments ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/15/eff-marks-apples-remarkable-improvement-in-protecting-customer-data-from-governments/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Integrates LLVM Compiler To Boost WebKit JavaScript Performance ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/apple-integrates-llvm-compiler-to-boost-webkit-javascript-performance/>
Peter Bright, Ars Technica

> Modern browsers use a scheme called just-in-time compilation to convert JavaScript into executable code and achieve high performance when they do so. As the optimization process has become more advanced and performance improved, Apple's WebKit developers have realized that they're increasingly building the same capabilities as traditional compiler developers have already built. Feeling that's rather wasteful, they've decided to stop building their own and instead leverage the optimization capabilities of the LLVM compiler.

*** Ten Rules For Great iPhone Photography ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2155302/ten-rules-for-great-iphone-photography.html#tk.rss_all>
Lauren Crabbe, Macworld

> The big challenge when you shoot images with an iPhone is to successfully capture great-looking photos from a gadget that’s primarily designed for chatting. If you keep these tips in mind as you shoot, however, you can take some pretty sharp pictures.

*** iTunes 11.2: Podcast Management Changes ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-11-2-podcast-management-changes/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** With iTunes Connect 3.0, Apple Is One Step Closer To Bringing An iOS 7 Look To All Its Apps ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/15/with-itunes-connect-30-apple-is-one-step-closer-to-bringing-an-ios-7-look-to-all-its-apps>
AppleInsider

> Apple on Thursday unveiled a new revision to its developer-focused iTunes Connect app for iOS, sporting an all-new design and the ability to manage multimedia content in the iTunes Store and iBooks Store alongside apps on the App Store.

*** Mac Keyboard Shortcuts ***
<http://mattgemmell.com/mac-keyboard-shortcuts/?_sm_au_=iVV4Q6qZ5sqNTRF5>
Matt Gemmell

> In this piece, I’d like to share some of the keyboard shortcuts and related functionality that I use every day on the Mac.

*** Tethered Syncing Returns With iTunes 11.2 And OS X 10.9.3 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2155305/tethered-syncing-returns-with-itunes-11-2-and-os-x-10-9-3.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> In the recent release of iTunes 11.2 and OS X 10.9.3, Apple brought a measure of joy to those users who missed the ability to sync contacts and calendars over a tethered USB connection. Gone since the introduction of OS X Mavericks, its reintroduction will be welcomed by those who don’t care to sync this kind of data over iCloud.

*** Bring Back The Hidden /Users Folder In OS X 10.9.3 ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/bring-back-the-hidden-users-folder-in-os-x-10-9-3/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** 10.9.3 Restores Local Contact And Calendar Sync, Improves 4K Support ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14758>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Apple has released OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Update, which brings a pixel-doubled Retina mode to external 4K displays and restores contact and calendar syncing between a Mac and iOS devices in iTunes. The Retina mode makes content much sharper, rather than just using all the pixels to create a truly huge desktop.

*** Adobe Creative Cloud Has Been Down For Almost 24 Hours ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/05/15/adobe-creative-cloud-down/>
Karissa Bell, Mashable

> Desktop applications that are already installed are up and running, according to Adobe — but downloads, web files, user and admin accounts are all down.

*** Podcasts For iOS Updated With Siri Integration, CarPlay Support And Improved Browsing ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/15/podcasts-2-1-improvements/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Developers Now Able To Provide Promo Codes For In-App Purchases ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/15/developers-promo-codes-in-app-purchase/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** What Do Animals See In A Mirror? ***
<http://nautil.us/issue/13/symmetry/what-do-animals-see-in-a-mirror>
Chelsea Wald, Nautilus