[MyAppleMenu] Mar 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 9 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Adds Apple TV Channel For iTunes Festival SXSW ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/apple-adds-apple-tv-channel-for-itunes-festival-sxsw>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Review: Mophie’s New ‘Space Pack’ Battery Case Is Like Dropbox Without The Cloud And Twice The Power ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/09/review-mophies-new-space-pack-battery-case-is-like-dropbox-without-the-cloud-and-twice-the-power/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Having local storage built directly into the case is the real advantage of the Mophie Space Pack. Because there is no cloud service to manage your files and the storage is located right in the hardware, the Space Pack interacts with media and files exactly like music, photos, and videos synced to your device.

*** One Phone, Many Countries ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21598653-costly-brazil-dysfunctional-argentina-bureaucratic-mexico-our-correspondents-go-shopping>
The Economist

> Costly Brazil, dysfunctional Argentina, bureaucratic Mexico. Our correspondents go shopping for the same Apple product.

*** 10 Things Your iPad Can Do With A Little Extra Help ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/03/08/10-things-your-ipad-can-do-with-a-little-extra-help/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> On its own, the iPad is capable of accomplishing a great number of day to day tasks. With a little help from an add-on accessory it can do quite a bit more.

*** From iMessage To Lightning Cables, Here’s How Apple Secures Your Digital life ***
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-imessage-ios-lightning-icloud-security/#!y11k5>
Geoff Duncan, Digital Trends

> Apple takes this stuff very seriously – and perhaps <i>differently</i> than other companies. Here are a few examples.

*** Review: Font Studio Provides Affordable Custom Fonts For All Of Your Creative Needs ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/08/review-font-studio-provides-affordable-custom-fonts-for-all-of-your-creative-needs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Whitney Marks, 9 To 5 Mac

*** National Zoo’s Longest-serving Keeper Bids Farewell ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/national-zoos-longest-serving-keeper-bids-farewell/2014/03/06/8cddf4d6-9022-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html>
Rachel Manteuffel, Washington Post

> On his last night as the longest-serving keeper at the National Zoo, David S. Kessler checks and rechecks the locks on the enclosures in the Small Mammal House. He collects his farewell gifts and mementos and softly narrates to himself what needs to be done. “Okay, lights out here, good. Hi, babies!” he says to Reuben and Jolla, the howler monkey couple. “Aagh, g’night, sweetheart. Did I wake you up? I’m sorry.” He checks the seven timers on the lights, saying “timer” aloud at each. He’s not thinking, he says, about how this January night is the last time after 39 years, two-thirds of his life, at the zoo. Now Gus the rock hyrax — who looks like a four-pound guinea pig but is more closely related to the elephant — catches his attention in the dark. It’s as if the little guy knows something is up.

*** Book Review: ‘The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History,’ By Elizabeth Kolbert ***
<http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/books/20140308-book-review-the-sixth-extinction-an-unnatural-history-by-elizabeth-kolbert.ece>
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times

> Elizabeth Kolbert’s revelatory new book, <i>The Sixth Extinction</i>, about the rapid and radical changes man is wreaking on the Earth, is a work of explanatory journalism that achieves the highest and best use of the form. After you read it, your view of the world will be fundamentally changed.

*** Is The LRB One Of The Best Magazines In The World? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/09/london-review-books-lrb-best-magazines-world-mary-kay-wilmers>
Elizabeth Day, The Guardian

> The London Review of Books has become the most successful – and controversial – literary publication in Europe. Just what is Mary-Kay Wilmers, its 75-year-old editor, getting so right?

*** Book Review: ‘Accidental Universe’ By Alan Lightman A Page-turner ***
<http://www.pressherald.com/life/audience/Book_Review___The_Accidental_Universe__by_Alan_Lightman_.html>
Joan Silverman, Maine Sunday Telegram

> Philosophy and science are typically the stuff of textbooks, not page-turners. But Alan Lightman’s engaging new book of essays proves to be the exception. Indeed this MIT physicist-turned-bestselling author is one of the nation’s top science writers, exploring the intersection of science and culture. That he used to teach physics in the morning, and creative writing in the afternoon is all the recommendation you need.

*** Why It’s Impossible To Re-create A Film Shot By Shot ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2014/03/why-its-impossible-to-recreate-a-film-shot-by-shot.html>
Richard Brody, New Yorker