[MyAppleMenu] Jun 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 28 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Apple Swift: Should CIOs Bite? ***
<http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-business/apple-swift-should-cios-bite-/a/d-id/1278871>
Erik LaMana, InformationWeek

> In short, I see Swift as good news for businesses looking to deliver strategic mobile apps in a timely and cost-efficient fashion.

*** Apps For Reading Could Be Your Netflix Of Books ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/apps-for-reading-could-be-your-netflix-of-books/2014/06/26/5156a7d0-f703-11e3-8aa9-dad2ec039789_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Hayley Tsukayama, Washington Post

> Several subscription book services have come onto the scene claiming to be the Netflix of books — a big claim, to be sure. They promise that, for a flat fee, you can sample and read multiple books on your cell phone, tablet or e-reader.

*** How To Work Around The Current Podcast App Crashing Bug ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-work-around-current-podcast-app-crashing-bug>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> However, there does seem to be a workaround that's getting past the crashing bug for a lot of people. It may look convoluted but it worked for me and hopefully it'll work for you!

*** Final Cut Pro X, Motion, And Compressor Get New Updates ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2411083/final-cut-pro-x-motion-and-compressor-get-new-updates.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** Adobe Releases A Statement About The End Of Aperture Development ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/06/27/adobe-releases-a-statement-about-the-end-of-aperture-development/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** ‘Apple Might As Well Get Rid Of Aperture While They’re At It’ ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/27/might-as-well>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Post-WWDC, the way I hope Photos for Mac plays out is not that Apple offers a “pro” upgrade, but rather that extensions allow for third-party developers to improve image editing in Photos for Mac in a similar way to how they will for Photos on iOS.

*** Apple’s Scrapping Aperture And Andy Ihnatko Almost Lost It There For A Second ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/apple-aperture-iphoto-andy-ihnatko/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> I can only guess as to Apple’s strategy. It makes sense to me that Apple would choose to narrow their responsibility to just photo and library management, with some consumer-level editing on the side. Apple’s primary job would be to make sure that every image, no matter what the source, no matter where it’s stored, is available to every Mac and iOS app that’s interested in photos. And then it’s up to third-party developers to deliver editing tools that are tailored to every individual set of expectations.

*** Apple Stops Development Of Aperture ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/27/apple-stops-development-of-aperture/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> “With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture,” said Apple in a statement provided to The Loop. “When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.”

*** Killer Plot ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/books/review/the-silkworm-by-j-k-rowling-as-robert-galbraith.html?ref=books&_r=0>
Harlan Coben, New York Times

> You want to judge “The Silkworm” on its own merit, author be damned. It is, in fact, this critic’s job to do so. But writing that type of blind review in this case, while a noble goal, is inauthentic if not downright disingenuous. If an author’s biography always casts some shadow on the work, here, the author is comparatively a total solar eclipse coupled with a supermassive black hole.

*** McWage ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/a6964798-fcbf-11e3-81f5-00144feab7de.html#axzz35twopDWA>
Douglas Coupland, Financial Times

> Minimum wage has gone from being a device created to protect the worst of power and labour imbalances to a fiscal panacea that allows its wielders to gut valuable social infrastructure while smiling beneath the cheesiest of haloes.

*** Selfish, Selfish San Francisco ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/06/san_francisco_housing_policy_it_would_be_a_better_city_if_twice_as_many.html>
Reihan Salam, Slate