[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 18 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Mac OS X Mavericks: 11 Essential Utilities ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/24033/mac-os-x-mavericks-11-essential-utilities>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Apple Launches New Cheaper iMac, Starting At $1,099 ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5819974/apple-imac-cheaper-pricing-new-model>
Tom Warren, The Verge

> The new 21.5-inch base model ships with a slower 1.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor than usual, a trade off that clearly enables Apple to price the iMac more competitively. Apple’s previous low-end iMac featured a 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 processor, and that model is still available for $1,299.

*** Automatic App Updated To Version 2.0, Brings All-new Design, Low Fuel Warnings And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/automatic-app-updated-version-20-brings-all-new-design-low-fuel-warnings-and-more>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> The low fuel warning only works on supported car models and will display how much fuel you have in your tank and an estimate of how many miles you can drive based on your driving habits. A push notification will show up on your iPhone when you're low on gas, and with IFTTT setup, you can also have it automatically perform additional actions, like log your fuel level or tweet or send out a message.

*** Meet Hopscotch, The iOS App Teaching Kids How To Program ***
<http://www.edge-online.com/features/hopscotch-is-the-ios-app-teaching-kids-how-to-program/>
Cassidee Moser, Edge Online

> Heavily influenced by the browser-based language Scratch, Hopscotch uses a drag-and-drop interface that allows children to put blocks together in order to issue commands to different items in their projects. It’s a system that does away with the fears of syntax errors and typos inherent in other programming languages, guaranteeing a certain level of stability that will help children focus on internalizing the basics.

*** Typinator 6.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14842?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Ergonis has released Typinator 6.0, a major update to its text expansion tool with over 50 new features and improvements.

*** Consumer-grade SSDs Actually Last A Hell Of A Long Time ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/consumer-grade-ssds-actually-last-a-hell-of-a-long-time/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

*** Apple Admits It Will Lose E-books Conspiracy Case, But It Still Wants To Win ***
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/apple-admits-it-will-lose-e-books-conspiracy-case-but-still-wants-to-win/>
Joe Mullin, Ars Technica

> Essentially, Apple is admitting that it can't win this case as long as it lost its case against the government, and the plaintiffs are admitting that if the government's case doesn't stand, they'll have much less leverage at trial.

*** Apple Is Happy To Sell You The Hachette Books Amazon Won’t Stock ***
<http://recode.net/2014/06/17/apple-is-happy-to-sell-you-the-hachette-books-amazon-wont-stock/?__federated=1>
Peter Kafka, Re/code

> And if you click on the “see all” button, you’ll note that every one of the 26 titles Apple is pushing is scheduled to be published by Hachette, including “The Silkworm,” the new book from “Harry Potter” author Rowling, written under her Robert Galbraith pseudonym.

*** War’s Hell, Especially For Editors ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/books/the-last-magazine-michael-hastingss-posthumous-novel.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> “The Last Magazine” is a thinly disguised roman à clef about life at Newsweek, here called simply The Magazine, in the run-up to its recent death rattles.

*** Ode To The Classic Bistro ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/dining/ode-to-the-classic-bistro.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Elaine Sciolino, New York Times

> Good bistros are essential to this city and to me. After living here for 12 years, I can report that despite the disturbing changes afoot, the old-style Paris bistro — an unpretentious place that celebrates honest food and wine, a cozy atmosphere and great conversation — is alive and well.

*** What Keeps You Up At Night ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2014/06/killing-sleepy-time.html>
Betsy orais, New Yorker