[MyAppleMenu] Jul 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 19 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Stop Blaming Apple For An Entire Industry's Sins ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/opinion/apple/stop-blaming-apple-for-entire-industrys-sins-3531668/>
David Price, Macworld UK

> Apple hasn't always had an exemplary record on labour ethics or the environment. But going by media reports, you'd think it was the only culprit - and it's absolutely not.

*** A Less-Definite Article ***
<http://ihnatko.com/2014/07/19/a-less-definite-article/>
Andy Ihnatko

> What I’m saying is that alphabetizing things is a big mess…maybe the biggest mess there is, if ranked as a ratio of “how difficult this problem is” to  “how difficult it <i>appears</i> to be.”

*** Review: Amazon Unlimited E-Book Service Is Limited ***
<http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/review-amazon-unlimited-book-service-limited-24624923>
Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press

> Amazon's new "unlimited" e-book service lets you read 600,000 books. That sounds like more than you'll ever read, but I found myself struggling to find the books I wanted.

*** Building Assert() In Swift, Part 1: Lazy Evaluation ***
<https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=4>
Swift Blog

*** Stop The Clocks ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/books/review/falling-out-of-time-by-david-grossman.html?ref=books&_r=0>
Edward Hirsch, New York Times

> The Israeli writer David Grossman has crafted a strange and riveting book — partly a folk tale, partly a play, partly a novel in verse. There’s no genre to describe it.

*** Sing To Me, O Muse (But Keep It Brief) ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/books/review/sing-to-me-o-muse-but-keep-it-brief.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
David Lehman, New York Times

> But the activity of writing them redeems itself even if it is only a gesture toward what we continue to need from literature and the humanities: an experience of mind — mediated by memorable speech — that feeds and sustains the imagination and helps us make sense of our lives.

*** Second Nature ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article07171401.aspx>
Bernd Brunner, The Smart Set

> Some thoughts on being naked in public.

*** Fruits And Vegetables Are Trying To Kill You ***
<http://nautil.us/issue/15/turbulence/fruits-and-vegetables-are-trying-to-kill-you?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Moises Velasquez-manoff, Nautilus