[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 7 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Is Your Waiter Reading Your Tweets? ***
<http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/549351/your_waiter_reading_your_tweets_/>
Brian Karlovsky, ARN

> Revel Systems has launched a new Yelp point of sale dash board on iPad, which instantly alerts restaurant staff to reviews and comments of patrons.
> When a customer "checks in" to a venue with a social app like Foursquare and Facebook or leaves a review on Yelp, an icon will pop up on the Revel iPad POS merchant screen allowing visibility into a customer's previous reviews.

*** Apple Ordered To Revise App Store Refund Policy, May Make Changes Global ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/07/apple-ordered-to-revise-app-store-refund-policy-may-make-changes-global>
AppleInsider

> South Korea's Fair Trade Commission on Sunday ordered Apple and Google to make changes to their respective iOS and Android app stores policies in an effort to make post-purchase refunding more consumer-friendly.

*** Brush Up On Classic Literature With These Immersive Apps ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2449640/brush-up-on-classic-literature-with-these-immersive-apps.html>
Kirk McElhearn, TechHive

*** Intermission 1.1 Review: Pause And Rewind Your Mac's Audio, TiVo-style ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2449519/intermission-11-review-pause-and-rewind-your-macs-audio-tivo-style.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** How To Add Liner Notes To iTunes ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-add-liner-notes-to-itunes/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> iTunes can store PDF “digital booklets,” or liner notes. You may get some of these when you purchase albums from the iTunes Store, but if you download music from other sites, and get liner notes, you need to add them to your iTunes library.

*** She's Still Dying On Facebook ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/shes-still-dying-on-facebook/373904/>
Julie Buntin, The Atlantic

> It’s been five years since my best friend from high school died, but her death happens over and over online.

*** “Mr. Mercedes”: How Stephen King’s Killers Mirror Real-life Murderers ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/07/06/mr_mercedes_how_stephen_kings_killers_mirror_real_life_murderers/>
Mike Berry, Salon

> The timing of the release of “Mr. Mercedes” could hardly be less propitious (until we remember that “Black House,” King’s long-awaited second collaboration with fellow horror writer Peter Straub, arrived in stores on September 11, 2001). The novel’s publication date comes a little more than a week after Elliot Rodger stabbed three people to death in his apartment near UC Santa Barbara, killed three others in drive-by shootings, ran down pedestrians in his BMW and then fatally shot himself with his own gun. In the wake of the Isla Vista tragedy, this straight-ahead thriller now makes for uncomfortable reading, in a way Mr. King undoubtedly did not intend.

*** I Used To Know Her ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014/07/amy_sohn_s_novel_the_actress_reviewed.html>
Karina Longworth, Slate