[MyAppleMenu] Jul 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 1 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** DC Comics (For iPad) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460311,00.asp>
Jeffrey L. Wilson, PC Magazine

> The Comixology-powered DC Comics (free) transforms Apple's slate into a digital comic book shop from which you can purchase new titles, as well as numerous back issues. DC Comics lacks the excellent shopping cart found in Comixology's own apps and has some big holes in the catalog, but those who enjoy spending time in the Batcave or Fortress of Solitude will like this app.

*** Apple Releases Security Fixes For iOS, OS X, Safari And Apple TV ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/apple-releases-security-fixes-for-ios-os-x-safari-and-apple-tv-7000031121/>
Larry Seltzer, ZDNet

> Apple has released new versions of iOS, OS X, Safari and Apple TV, and disclosed the vulnerabilities fixed in those new versions. A total of 60 unique vulnerabilities are addressed in the products. As is common with Apple, some of the vulnerabilities are quite old.

*** Apple Launches Back To School Promo, Offers Gift Cards With Purchase ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2449800/apple-launches-back-to-school-promo-offers-gift-cards-with-purchase.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> As in the past, Apple is offering gift cards for the Apple Store along with the purchase of Macs, iPads, and iPhones.

*** New Store Graphics Are Changing The Mood ***
<http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2014/06/30/new-store-graphics-are-changing-the-mood/>
IfoApplestore.com

> The visuals teams at the Apple retail stores are installing new back-lit wall graphics to promote the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, but the graphics have also changed the mood of the stores with their photographic style.

*** iOS 7.1.2 Improves iBeacon ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14880?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** OS X 10.9.4 Includes Wi-Fi, Wake From Sleep Fixes ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14881?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Highlights of the update include a fix for a bug that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to Wi-Fi networks, improved reliability of wake from sleep, and the inclusion of Safari 7.0.5, which features a number of security fixes.

*** Apple Finally Brings Two-factor Authentication To iCloud Website ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/30/apple-finally-brings-two-factor-authentication-to-icloud-website/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** That’s So Random: Why We Persist In Seeing Streaks ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/science/the-science-of-hot-hand.html?ref=science&_r=0>
Carl Zimmer, New York Times

> Time and again, we don’t want to believe that streaks can be the result of pure chance — probably because the bias appears to be deeply ingrained in our minds, researchers say. Indeed, a new study in The Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Learning and Cognition suggests that the hot hand phenomenon is so ancient that monkeys display it, too.

*** The Power Of Two ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/06/the-power-of-two/372289/?src=longreads>
Joshua Wolf Shenk, The Atlantic