[MyAppleMenu] Jan 31, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jan 31 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Seed Mail (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2430131,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> Seed Mail connects to multiple webmail and Exchange accounts to give you a unified view of all your messages, if that's what you want. You can also view just one email account at a time. Even better, it includes the related calendar and contacts sections of those email services, too. In other words, you can read all your mail from any of your accounts and then switch to your Gmail calendar without ever leaving the app.

*** MLB Introducing Apple iBeacons To 20 Ballparks In March ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/31/5363834/mlb-apple-ibeacons-to-20-teams-ballparks-in-march>
Rich McCormick, The Verge

> When Apple added support for iBeacons — small, lower-power Bluetooth LE transmitters that offer a host of location-based services — into iOS 7, Major League Baseball was one of the first companies to show the new feature's potential. Now a source familiar with the matter has confirmed MLB will be installing and using thousands of iBeacons in some of its teams' ballparks by the end of March.

*** Game Developers Are Trolling The Makers Of <i>Candy Crush</i> With Other "Candy" Games ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/01/30/candy_crush_gets_trolled_by_developers_making_games_with_the_word_candy.html>
Lily Hay Newman, Slate

> What if a game developer was so concerned about protecting its viral iOS hit that it trademarked the word <i>candy</i> in Europe, and then succeeded in getting Apple to enforce the trademark? And what if other game developers were so annoyed by the situation that they launched a troll campaign to design and submit as many games as they could to Apple that included the word <i>candy</i>?

*** Unified OS Advocates Are Out Of “Touch” With Reality ***
<http://techpinions.com/unified-os-advocates-are-out-of-touch-with-reality/26954>
John Kirk, TechPinions

> Tablet and notebook interfaces are not combining because it simply won’t work. Great products are not defined by the absence of weakness, but rather, by the presence of clear strengths.

*** Working With Evernote For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/working-with-evernote-for-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** A Look At SwiftKey Note ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/a-look-at-swiftkey-note/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> SwiftKey Note doesn’t replace Apple’s keyboard layout, but it does attempt to improve upon automatic corrections while offering easy-to-tap suggestions as you type. Does it hit the ball out of the park? Not completely, but it’s decent and for the most part has better suggestions than Apple.

*** Launch Center Pro For iPad Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/launch-center-pro-for-ipad-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Freemium Games In The UK Are Set To Change Considerably On April 1 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/freemium-games-in-the-uk-are-set-to-change-considerably-on-april-1>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> The 23 page “OFT’s Principles for online and app-based games,” states that game developers must alert users of any potential costs upfront. They must also explain whether personal data is used for marketing purposes.

*** Paper, An All New Way To Read Facebook On Your iPhone, Is Coming Feb. 3 ***
<http://www.imore.com/facebook-introduces-paper-iphone-combining-news-and-your-friends-february-3>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Yes, I Am Car-Free In Los Angeles ***
<http://www.laweekly.com/publicspectacle/2014/01/30/yes-i-am-car-free-in-los-angeles>
Stevie St. John, LA Weekly

> But while I knew I'd be sacrificing convenience, I was excited to leave the freeway behind. I'd had a contentious relationship with L.A.'s roads from the start.

*** What Is Zero Fahrenheit, Anyway? ***
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/45390/what-is-zero-fahrenheit-anyway-is-it-really-the-freezing/>
Cecil Adams, Washington City Paper

> Think what this means: The method supposedly used to determine zero on Fahrenheit’s scale <i>doesn’t always work</i>. Who would be foolish enough to invent a temperature scale that wouldn’t permit thermometers to be reliably calibrated?

*** Ghosts Of The Tsunami ***
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n03/richard-lloydparry/ghosts-of-the-tsunami>
Richard Lloyd Parry, London Review Of Books