[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 13 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Boot Camp Update Brings 64-Bit Support To Windows Drivers ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57618799-263/boot-camp-update-brings-64-bit-support-to-windows-drivers/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Apple has released an updated version of its Boot Camp software to support installations of Windows on a secondary partition of its Mac systems. While Apple does not officially support third-party operating systems and software installed on your Mac, it does provide Boot Camp as an option so people can use Apple's trackpads and other hardware when running in Windows.

*** Quickly Retrieve Past Messages In Messages For OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57618751-263/quickly-retrieve-past-messages-in-messages-for-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Simply hold the Option key and press the Up arrow, and previously sent messages will appear ready to be selected or sent again. You can then continue to press the up or down arrows to see and select additional messages you have sent.

*** VSCO Cam 3.0: The Best Photo App For iPhone Adds Your Friends ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/5401176/vsco-cam-3-update-adds-grid-friend-feed>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

*** Apple Tallies Labor-Rights Violations In Supplier Audit ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-13/apple-tallies-labor-rights-violations-in-supplier-audit.html>
Adam Satariano And Tim Culpan, Bloomberg

> Apple conducted 451 reviews of multiple levels in its supply chain covering facilities where nearly 1.5 million people work, according to its eighth annual internal audit. The company said it’s more aggressively trying to remove the use of so-called conflict minerals and has gotten 95 percent of the facilities to keep work to below 60 hours per week.

*** How Apple Protects Your iPhone From Your Employer ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14498?rss>
Rich Mogull, TidBITS

> With BYOD in iOS 7, Apple split the difference. Organizations can protect their property, employees can use their own devices, and everyone enjoys the full iOS experience, with no compromises. It’s a new way to look at BYOD, and one I suspect will be quite popular with both users and IT departments.

*** Apple Confirms No Unethically Sourced Tantalum Is Used In iOS Devices ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/apple-confirms-no-unethically-sourced-tantalum-is-used-in-ios-devices>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> In its recently published 2014 Supplier Responsibility Report, Apple has confirmed that its suppliers use only ethically sourced tantalum – a chemical element essential to electronics, but which has been the subject of previous reports claiming that unethical mining practices are widespread across certain regions in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

*** iOS Tip: Send Files Between iOS Devices With AirDrop ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/ios-tip-send-files-between-ios-devices-with-airdrop/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> AirDrop can be useful for transferring files across iOS devices, even your own. As long as they’re both on WiFi, it works seamlessly.

*** Apple, Have A Little Huemanity ***
<http://www.huemanapp.com/apple.html>
Hueman

> We made something. We use it. We love it. Apple rejected it.

*** Hype 2.5 Review: Tumult's 'Love Letter' Update To Its Users Is A Triumph ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2097421/hype-2-5-review-tumults-love-letter-update-to-its-users-is-a-triumph.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> If you’re looking to play in the world of HTML5 animation and responsive Web design without being an expert on CSS transforms and JavaScript tricks, Hype is the program to pick up. If you can think it up, Hype can probably build it. And though it may occasionally need some hand-coded help when it comes to advanced projects, it’s a great tool for almost everything else.

*** How To Install Command Line Tools In OS X Mavericks (Without Xcode) ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/12/install-command-line-tools-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

*** Lyne Review: Elegant, Restful iPhone Puzzle Game ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/games/lyne-iphone-puzzle-game-review-3501813/>
David Price, Macworld UK

*** One-hand, One-tap Games You Should Have Played Instead Of Flappy Bird ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2096383/one-hand-one-tap-games-you-should-have-played-instead-of-flappy-bird.html>
Leah Yamshon, TechHive

> However, plenty of other one-tap, side-scrolling games out there are actually worth your while. These games have gorgeous graphics, fun strategy, and solid overall aesthetics.

*** Did Stephen Hawking Just Eliminate Black Holes? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/mysteries_of_the_universe/2014/02/stephen_hawking_says_black_holes_don_t_exist_quantum_physics_and_scientific.html>
Matthew R. Francis, Slate

> Celebrity science can be weirder than quantum mechanics.

*** The Anatomy Of A Magazine Cover ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/02/13/george_lois_on_the_evolution_of_the_modern_magazine_cover.html>
Avery Trufelman, Slate

> Magazine covers are a challenge to design, since they have to be both ever-changing and also consistently recognizable. For this reason, most publications stick to a standard set of practices.

> This is the anatomy of a magazine cover, starting from the top. Literally.

*** The Patron And The Panhandler ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2014/02/joe-gould-secret-mystery>
Joshua Prager, Vanity Fair

> <i>Joe Gould’s Secret</i>, Joe Mitchell’s classic portrait of an astute but deluded bohemian in postwar Greenwich Village, has been picked over for half a century by literary critics, fact-checkers, college professors, and ordinary readers. One abiding mystery has long been the identity of the anonymous heiress who kept the down-and-out Gould housed and fed throughout the late 1940s. That mystery has now been solved.

*** How To Survive The Next Wave Of Technology Extinction ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/technology/personaltech/how-to-survive-the-next-wave-of-technology-extinction.html?_r=0>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> By following a simple strategy, you can get the most out of the digital world while reducing the chance you’ll be burned by a single wrong move. The point is to minimize the danger of getting locked in to any one company’s ecosystem. The strategy also ensures that you can easily move from device to device without much hassle.

> The key is promiscuity. When you decide what to use, you’ve got to play every tech giant against the other, to make every tech decision as if you were a cad — sample every firm’s best features and never overcommit to any one.

*** Why Writers Are The Worst Procrastinators ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/why-writers-are-the-worst-procrastinators/283773/>
Megan Mcardle, The Atlantic