[MyAppleMenu] Feb 11, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 11 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** LaCie Fuel Review: Neatly Designed Wireless Drive For The iPad Or iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ios-accessories/lacie-fuel-review-3501145/>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Add extra storage to your iPhone or iPad with this neatly designed wireless drive.

*** Apple's Mac Pro Shipping Estimates Slip To April In Many Countries ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/11/mac-pro-ship-estimates-april/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

*** Apple Loses Bid To Shake Monitor But Doesn’t Walk Away Empty-Handed ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/02/10/apples-loses-bid-to-shake-monitor-but-doesnt-walk-away-empty-handed/>
Joe Palazzolo, Wall Street Journal

> The order Monday by the Second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals favored the Justice Department, which had pushed for the monitor, but Apple didn’t walk away empty handed.

> The panel of judges defined Mr. Bromwich’s duties in narrow terms: The former Justice Department inspector general is authorized to request interviews and documents from the company only to ensure that Apple has policies in place to prevent future antitrust violations and that senior executives and board members understand them.

*** Apple Announces iTunes Radio Is Now Available In Australia ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/apple-announces-itunes-radio-is-now-available-in-australia>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Book Review: 'The Contest Of The Century,' By Geoff Dyer ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303442704579363163057077346>
Ali Wyne, Wall Street Journal

> China can't change its history as a regional hegemon. It can't change its size and population. And it can't change its location.

*** What’s The Point If We Can’t Have Fun? ***
<http://thebaffler.com/past/whats_the_point_if_we_cant_have_fun>
David Graeber, The Baffler

> Despite all this, those who do look into the matter are invariably forced to the conclusion that play does exist across the animal universe. And exists not just among such notoriously frivolous creatures as monkeys, dolphins, or puppies, but among such unlikely species as frogs, minnows, salamanders, fiddler crabs, and yes, even ants—which not only engage in frivolous activities as individuals, but also have been observed since the nineteenth century to arrange mock-wars, apparently just for the fun of it.

> Why do animals play? Well, why shouldn’t they? The real question is: Why does the existence of action carried out for the sheer pleasure of acting, the exertion of powers for the sheer pleasure of exerting them, strike us as mysterious? What does it tell us about ourselves that we instinctively assume that it is?

*** The Archaeology Of The Stars ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/science/space/the-archaeology-of-the-stars.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Curtis Brainard, New York Times