[MyAppleMenu] Aug 29, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 29 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** FruitJuice Review: Practice Good Battery Health With Your MacBook ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2465852/fruitjuice-review-practice-good-battery-health-with-your-macbook.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> FruitJuice is simply tracking your previous week’s battery behavior, then recommending you stay unplugged for 20 percent of the time you typically use your laptop.

*** Adobe Photoshop Mix Gets First Major Update Featuring New Tools And Dropbox Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/adobe-photoshop-mix-gets-first-major-update-featuring-new-tools-and-dropbox-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Launched alongside Adobe Lightroom for iPhone last June, Adobe Photoshop Mix is an iPad app that offers “non-destructive” photo-editing features, including selections, cutouts, and mixes.

*** Use The iPad Air As A Second Monitor For Mac And Windows Laptops ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/use-the-ipad-air-as-a-second-monitor-for-mac-and-windows-laptops-7000033053/>
James Kendrick, ZDNet

> It’s not the only option for turning a tablet into a monitor, but Air Display has evolved into a very good one. I use it on the iPad Air, which serves as a second monitor for the MacBook Air.

*** Save Time With Contact Center ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/28/save-time-with-contact-center/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

*** Why Apple's iBeacon Hasn't Taken Off—Yet ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-28/apples-ibeacon-retail-stores-make-little-use-of-it-so-far>
Olga Kharif, Bloomberg Businessweek

*** Apple Flagship Store In San Francisco Fills With Protestors ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-flagship-store-fills-with-protestors/#ftag=CAD590a51e>
Dara Kerr, CNET

> A gathering of roughly 50 protestors were demonstrating against Apple for allegedly underpaying contract employees that work at its retail stores.

*** Apple Tells Developers They May Not Sell Personal Health Data To Advertisers ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/29/apple-health-data-privacy-developers-advertisers>
Kevin Rawlinson, The Guardian

> Apple has tightened its privacy rules relating to health apps ahead of next month's product launch, which is expected to see the unveiling of an updated iPhone and could include new wearable technology.
> The technology firm has told developers that their apps, which would use Apple's "HealthKit" platform on the forthcoming products, must not sell any personal data they gather to advertisers. The move could stave off concerns users might have around privacy as Apple seeks to move into the health data business.

Good.

*** Replace A Dying iPhone 5 Battery: Take Two ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15029?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Pictures: Apple Constructs Its Own Building At Flint Center For Sept. Event ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/08/28/pictures-apple-constructs-its-own-building-at-flint-center-for-sept-event/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Apple is constructing its own building on the Flint Center grounds as part of the event. It seems to me that this could be the hands-on area that Apple typically has for attendees after the event.

*** Apple Announces Special Event For Sept. 9 ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/08/28/apple-announces-special-event-for-sept-9/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Typically Apple’s events are held either at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco or at the company’s campus, but this year is a bit different. Apple said in the invitation that the event will be held at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, the city where Apple’s corporate headquarters is located.

*** Popular iOS Note Taking App Notability Comes To Mac ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/28/popular-ios-note-taking-app-notability-comes-to-mac/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Checkmark 2.1 Features Plenty Of New Tools To Keep Your Life On Track ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/checkmark-2-1-features-plenty-of-new-tools-to-keep-your-life-on-track>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> The location-based reminder and to-do app now features a number of new features including snoozing, recurring reminders, and tappable actions in notes.

*** CloudApp 3 For Mac Brings Effortless GIF Screen Recording, Support For Teams ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/cloudapp-3-for-mac-brings-effortless-gif-screen-recording-support-for-teams/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

*** The Man Who Made Off With John Updike’s Trash ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/08/the-man-who-made-off-with-john-updikes-trash/379213/>
Adrienne LaFrance, The Atlantic