[MyAppleMenu] Aug 12, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 12 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Apple Prominently Advertising Beats Music To New iOS Device Users ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/12/apple-prominently-advertising-beats-music-to-new-ios-device-users/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has prominently featured its own suite of free apps when iOS users first open the App Store, such as its iLife and iWork apps, for a while. Now that Beats Music and Beats Electronics are officially part of the family, the Beats Music app is now appearing on this ‘Apple Apps’ list as well. Beats Music is currently the last entry in the list, described as a way to ‘listen to music that’s always right for you’.

*** Why Surveillance Companies Hate The iPhone ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/08/11/why-surveillance-companies-hate-the-iphone/>
Craig Timberg, Washington Post

> The secrets of one of the world’s most prominent surveillance companies, Gamma Group, spilled onto the Internet last week, courtesy of an anonymous leaker who appears to have gained access to sensitive corporate documents. And while they provide illuminating details about the capabilities of Gamma’s many spy tools, perhaps the most surprising revelation is about something the company is unable to do: It can’t hack into your typical iPhone.

*** Folderol Review: Add Color To Your OS X Finder Folders ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2457997/folderol-review-add-color-to-your-os-x-finder-folders.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> For those of us who have long used Finder-label colors as visual cues in the Finder, Folderol is a big improvement over the tiny circles of tags.

*** Apple Prepares Healthkit Rollout Amid Tangled Regulatory Web ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/12/us-apple-healthcare-exclusive-idUSKBN0GC09K20140812>
Christina Farr, Reuters

> Apple Inc has been discussing how its "HealthKit" service will work with health providers at Mount Sinai, the Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins as well as with Allscripts, a competitor to electronic health records provider Epic Systems, people familiar with the discussions said.
> While the talks may not amount to anything concrete, they underscore how Apple is intent on making health data, such as blood pressure, pulse and weight, available for consumers and health providers to view in one place.

*** 'And You May Contribute A Verse': Robin Williams' Poignant Apple Ad ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-apple-ad/>
Jonathan Ellis, Mashable

*** Print Files Directly From Mac Desktop & OS X Finder To Save Time ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/08/11/print-files-from-desktop-mac/>
OS X Daily

*** New Apple 'Your Verse' Stories Highlight Yaoband And Detroit Slow Roll City Bike Ride ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/new-apple-your-verse-stories-highlight-yaoband-and-detroit-slow-roll-city-bike-ride>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

> Apple has just added two more stories to its “Your Verse” campaign that shows how people are using an iPad in their daily lives. The new entries focus on Yaoband in China and the Slow Roll city bike ride in Detroit.

*** Now You Can Book A Table And Pay For Your Meal With OpenTable’s App ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2463172/now-you-can-book-a-table-and-pay-for-your-meal-with-opentable-s-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Caittlin McGarry, TechHive

> Now when you make a reservation at one of several participating restaurants through OpenTable’s iPhone app, you’ll be able to settle your bill at the end of the meal with just a few taps on your phone.

*** How To Forget Wi-Fi Networks In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/08/11/forget-wi-fi-networks/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Penn Jillette’s Secrets Of “Celebrity Apprentice”: Donald Trump Is A Whackjob! ***
<http://www.salon.com/2012/11/17/penn_jillettes_secrets_of_celebrity_apprentice_donald_trump_is_a_whackjob/>
Penn Jillette, Salon

> I did “The Celebrity Apprentice 2012″ as kind of a work/study thang. TV networks are dying. The death throes of religion give us jihads. The death throes of television give us reality shows.

*** Forget Siri: This Radical New AI Teaches Itself And Reads Your Mind ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/08/viv/>
Steven Levy, Wired

> Whereas Siri can only perform tasks that Apple engineers explicitly implement, this new program, they say, will be able to teach itself, giving it almost limitless capabilities. In time, they assert, their creation will be able to use your personal preferences and a near-infinite web of connections to answer almost any query and perform almost any function.

*** Writing Is A Risky, Humiliating Endeavor ***
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/writing-is-a-risky-humiliating-endeavor/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0>
David Gordon, New York Times

> This essay was born when my ex-wife unfriended me on Facebook. She was angry over my last novel, though to my mind, the resemblances to her and me were superficial. The story — which involves kidnapping, murder, private eyes — was clearly not “about” us. I was shocked and saddened — I’d hoped she would like the book — but this was not the first time I’d had this sort of experience.

*** Who Knows How This Column Will End? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/magazine/who-knows-how-this-column-will-end.html?_r=0>
Tom Vanderbilt, New York Times