[MyAppleMenu] Apr 30, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 30 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Back Up iTunes Podcasts ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/technology/personaltech/how-to-back-up-itunes-podcasts.html>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

*** Clear, The Popular To-Do App For iOS And Mac, Finally Adds Reminders ***
<http://lifehacker.com/clear-the-popular-to-do-app-for-ios-and-mac-finally-a-1569223990>
Melanie Pinola, Lifehacker

*** LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457227,00.asp>
Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

*** Review: Focus 2 Pro Image Enhancement Software For OS X ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/134024/review-focus-2-pro-os-x/>
Aaron Kraus, TechnologyTell

*** Yahoo Revamps iPhone Mail App ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457313,00.asp>
Angela Moscaritolo, PC Magazine

> When you open the revamped app, you'll see your inbox along with a new panel of icons at the bottom of the screen. Tap the News icon for a "personalized, visually rich news stream," featuring everything from the latest celebrity gossip to political happenings.

*** Yelp For iOS Gets Updated Profile Pages, Swipe-To-Go-Back And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/yelp-for-ios-gets-updated-profile-pages-swipe-to-go-back-and-more>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Divide For iOS Is The Closest Thing To Having A Work Profile On Your iPhone ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/divide-for-ios-is-the-closest-thing-to-having-a-work-profile-on-your-iphone-7000028612/>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

> Divide does things a little differently than other Exchange clients for iOS. Divide provides comprehensive remote management tools and an instinctive, iOS-like user experience.

*** 3 Ways Apple Improved The MacBook Air ***
<http://readwrite.com/2014/04/29/apple-macbook-air-2014-specs-features-update-mac#awesm=~oCV8TaimVxULBT>
Dave Smith, ReadWrite

*** The Right Way To Tag Everything In iTunes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2148522/the-right-way-to-tag-everything-in-itunes.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Even if your iTunes library’s tags are mostly correct, any erroneous tags may prevent you from finding your music. If an artist’s name is spelled wrong, for instance, or if there’s a typo in a song name you won’t find your favorite tunes when you search in iTunes. And if you’ve left some tags blank, some of your music won’t display in certain views.

*** iOS 7 And UI Debt ***
<http://www.manton.org/2014/04/ios_7_and_ui.html>
Manton Reece

> Even Aqua, the most dramatic change ever to the Mac’s UI, was fairly straightforward for developers to adopt; if you stuck with consistent Mac controls, you got a lot for free. There was very little of that kind of consistency on iOS because developers frequently built their own custom UIs which had to be thrown out when iOS 7 happened.

*** “Superficial Changes” ***
<http://www.marco.org/2014/04/29/superficial-changes>
Marco Arment

> Most developers took a few months over the summer and fall to adapt, and then got back to “normal” development shortly after iOS 7 shipped.

*** Adobe Updates Photoshop Express For iOS With New Design And Features ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/29/adobe-updates-photoshop-express-for-ios-with-new-design-and-features/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** How To Protect Your Mac Using FileVault 2 Encryption ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-protect-your-mac-using-filevault-2-encryption>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Unless you absolutely need to protect the contents of your hard drive outside of anything but the most intensive forensic recovery, FileVault may be overkill. But if the need is there, it's reassuring to know that it's there, and it's fairly easy to activate and deactivate as long as you follow the instructions.

*** iOS 7 Squandered A Year Of Third-Party Development On Superficial Changes ***
<http://blog.jaredsinclair.com/post/84237156390/ios-7-squandered-a-year-of-third-party-development-on>
Jared Sinclair

> It’s been almost a year since version 7.0 was announced, yet as a developer I feel like a year’s worth of work has brought about only superficial changes to the apps I work on and the apps I use.

*** You're Emailing Wrong: The Best Mobile Apps For Managing Your Inbox ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304393704579530332026112164?mod=djemptech_t&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304393704579530332026112164.html%3Fmod%3Ddjemptech_t>
Joanna Stern, Wall Street Journal

*** Jack For iTunes Connect ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/jack-for-itunes-connect/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Jack makes it easy to add and edit metadata for localization purposes, select pricing tiers, and manage screenshots with drag & drop from the Finder.

*** Microsoft Adds Printing Support To Office For iPad Apps, Other Features ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/29/microsoft-adds-printing-support-to-office-for-ipad-apps-other-features/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Firefox 29 Launches With Major Redesign, Firefox Account Integration ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/29/firefox-29-launches-with-major-redesign-firefox-account-integration/>
Frederic Lordinois, TechCrunch

*** Automating iOS: A Comprehensive Guide To Launch Center Pro ***
<http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/launch-center-pro-guide>
Alex Guyot, MacStories

> Once a simple app launcher held back by the lack of support for more advanced actions by third party developers, interest in URL schemes has let Contrast focus on beefing up LCP’s internal functionalities. While on the surface it looks deceptively simple and just a reskin of its original design from June 2012, 2014’s Launch Center Pro is brimming with hidden power and advanced capabilities.

*** Seen And Unseen: Could There Ever Be A “Cinema Without Cuts”? ***
<http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/2014/04/29/seen-and-unseen-could-there-ever-be-a-cinema-without-cuts/>
Jenifer Ouellette, Scientific America