[MyAppleMenu] Apr 17, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 17 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Twitterrific For iOS Adds “Edit Tweet” Button ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/twitterrific-for-ios-adds-edit-tweet-button/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** BBC And Sky Catch-up Apps Experience iOS Fault ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27062516>
Leo Kelion, BBC

> The fault appears to be limited to iPlayer, Sky Go and Now TV on Apple's iOS platform and began last night.

> Neither organisation was able to provide a full explanation at this time.

*** Name Mangler Review: The File Renamer For Mac Power Users ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2144260/name-mangler-review-the-file-renamer-for-mac-power-users.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> Name Mangler remains the more powerful tool, thanks in large part to its Advanced mode. If you’re a power user, and you’re willing to put in the time to learn that mode, Name Mangler will be your renamer of choice. Even if you aren’t, you may prefer it for the relative compactness of its interface and its fast, efficient performance.

*** 33 Great Tips And Tricks For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2144604/33-great-tips-and-tricks-for-ios-7.html>
Serenity Caldwell and Dan Moren, Macworld

*** Hands-on: Eyefi Cloud Offers Unlimited Photo Storage Through A Wi-Fi SD Card ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2144541/hands-on-eyefi-cloud-offers-unlimited-photo-storage-through-a-wi-fi-sd-card.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Mark Hachman, Macworld

> Wireless storage card maker Eyefi (formerly Eye-Fi) unveiled Eyefi Cloud, an unlimited photo storage service, on Thursday morning. The service, which will cost $49 per year, receives photos captured by a camera to Eyefi's own Wi-Fi enabled SD card. The card uploads them to the cloud using a paired, Internet-connected smartphone or tablet as the conduit.

*** Why Apple’s A7 Chip Is Better Than The Competition: Apple A7 Chip Specs, Processor Speed And Microarchitecture Examined ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/why-apples-a7-chip-is-so-much-better-than-other-smartphones-3512169/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

*** 3 Super Simple Finder Keystroke Tips Every Mac User Must Know ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/16/3-super-simple-finder-keystrokes-mac/>
OS X Daily

*** Apple Website Confirms Aftermarket CarPlay Installations Coming Soon From Alpine, Pioneer ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/16/apple-website-confirms-aftermarket-carplay-installations-coming-soon-from-alpine-pioneer/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has quietly added a line on its CarPlay microsite acknowledging that it will indeed support the feature in existing cars through aftermarket systems. Specifically, Alpine and Pioneer are listed under the line “And you’ll soon be able to add CarPlay to your current car with an aftermarket system."

*** Auto-Save Microsoft Word With Keyboard Maestro ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/16/auto-save-microsoft-word-with-keyboard-maestro/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

> Microsoft Word does have an auto-recovery setting, but nothing beats the security of manually saving. Unlike modern apps, Microsoft Word does not support the versioning and auto-save features in OS X. Keyboard Maestro can run that save command every X seconds or minutes.

*** PDFpen And PDFpenPro 6.2 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14675?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Mac Remote Desktop Software Roundup ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14678?rss>
David Koff, TidBITS

*** What Fruit Is Left Hanging For iOS In Education? ***
<http://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/4/15/what-fruit-is-left-hanging-for-ios-in-education>
Chambers Daily

> Let me just preface this article with the fact that Apple is doing some extremely innovative things when it comes to education right now. The Device Enrollment Program and Managed Distribution are incredible advancements when you look at what it takes to scale iOS for very large deployments. Fraser and I have been discussing the planning behind deploying iOS on our podcast and these tools are certainly important. The purpose of this article is to look at what's left for Apple to do given the current state of iOS software and hardware.

*** Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft Is Now Available Worldwide For The iPad ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-is-now-available-worldwide-for-the-ipad>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Anki Drive Getting New Cars And Tracks, Plus A New Race Mode ***
<http://www.imore.com/anki-drive-getting-new-cars-and-tracks-plus-new-race-mode?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Simon Sage, iMore

> Corax is one of the new cars, which is able to mount multiple weapons, while Hadion has a turbo boost function available right away. As for tracks, Crossroads adds the first intersection to the mix, while Bottleneck has a particularly narrow section which should be a welcome challenge.

*** How To Cancel App Store Magazine Subscriptions ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/16/how-to-cancel-app-store-magazine-subscriptions/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Marissa Mayer’s Secret Plan To Get Apple To Dump Google And Default To Yahoo Mobile Search ***
<http://recode.net/2014/04/16/marissa-mayers-secret-plan-to-get-apple-to-dump-google-and-default-to-yahoo-mobile-search/>
Kara Swisher, Re/code

> According to sources, the lodestone of two internal projects aimed at building a viable mobile search engine and monetization platform is to convince Apple to make Yahoo the default search engine on its Safari browser on the iPhone and iPad.

Also:
• <a href="http://searchengineland.com/yahoos-iphone-away-google-189322">Why Yahoo’s Not Going To Steal The Search Default For iPhone Away From Google</a> (Danny Sullivan, Search Engine Land)

*** Book World: ‘Updike’ By Adam Begley ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-updike-by-adam-begley/2014/04/16/87e1cd48-c0d5-11e3-b574-f8748871856a_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Michael Dirda, Washington Post

> There’s no subtitle to this biography of writer John Updike (1932-2009), perhaps because the only logical one is a rather old-fashioned phrase: “His Life and Works.” Recognizing how relentlessly Updike’s fiction draws on its author’s own experiences, Adam Begley structures his book as a kind of double helix with two interlaced narrative strands. In one, he provides the facts of Updike’s 76 years in the world, in the other he shows how this most writerly of writers used his work to probe and reflect on nearly every aspect of his life.

*** The Truth About Google X: An Exclusive Look Behind The Secretive Lab's Closed Doors ***
<http://www.fastcompany.com/3028156/united-states-of-innovation/the-google-x-factor?src=longreads>
Jon Gertner, Fast Company

> Astro Teller is sharing a story about something bad. Or maybe it's something good. At Google X, it's sometimes hard to know the difference.

*** The Swimsuit Issue ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article04151401.aspx>
Francine Douwes Whitney, The Smart Set