[MyAppleMenu] Apr 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 4 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Address Incorrect Mail Counts In Apple's Mail ***
<http://www.cnet.com/how-to/address-incorrect-mail-counts-in-os-x-mail/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If your mailbox indexes are damaged, then you might experience Mail showing you available messages even though all messages are marked as read, or similar instance of mismatch between unread mail and the count in the index.

> To fix this issue, you simply need to have Mail rebuild its index, which it can do from the available messages in your various inboxes.

*** Excel For iPad Review: The Best Spreadsheet App For The iPad ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2139403/excel-for-ipad-review-the-best-spreadsheet-app-for-the-ipad.html>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> While you can argue that Excel is many years late to the iPad party (and I wouldn’t disagree), the iPad version of Excel is a solid entrant, and instantly changes the landscape for competitive apps.

*** How (And Why) To Use An iPhone As An Apple TV Remote ***
<http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-and-why-to-use-your-iphone-as-a-remote-for-apple-tv/>
Matt Elliott, CNET

> With the Remote app, you can use your iOS device to control Apple TV and hunt for content simply by speaking.

*** What's A 'Carrier Update' For iPhone Or iPad And Why Do We Get Them? ***
<http://www.imore.com/whats-carrier-update-iphone-ipad-why-get-them>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Carrier updates are used to help your iPhone and iPad communicate with the carrier network. These files typically contain information concerning voice networks, cellular data, voicemail settings, personal hotspot, and any other service your carrier provides.

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Organizing Media Files, Mixed Genre Smart Playlists, And Too-long Syncs ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2138600/ask-the-itunes-guy-organizing-media-files-mixed-genre-smart-playlists-and-too-long-syncs.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> You can do a lot with smart playlists in iTunes, and sometimes the questions I get from readers make me discover ideas that I had never thought of. In this week's column, I show you how to create a smart playlist with a certain percentage of songs from different genres. I also talk about organizing iTunes media files, slow syncing of iOS devices, and how to find a lost password for an Apple ID.

*** Office 365: To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2139960/office-365-to-subscribe-or-not-to-subscribe.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

*** The Woman Behind Apple's First Icons ***
<http://priceonomics.com/the-woman-behind-apples-first-icons/>
Zachary Crockett, Priceonomics

> Thirty years ago, as tech titans battled for real estate in the personal computer market, an inconspicuous young artist gave the Macintosh a smile.

*** Facebook Messenger Reaches V4.1 And Enables Wi-Fi Calling For All ***
<http://www.imore.com/facebook-messenger-reaches-v41-and-enable-wi-fi-calling-all>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** Word For iPad Review: The New Standard For Microsoft's Word Processor ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2139245/word-for-ipad-review-the-new-standard-for-microsofts-word-processor.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Batersby, Macworld

> While you won’t find all the tools you’re used to having in Word for Mac, that’s not a bad thing. Word for iPad is streamlined, fast, and beautiful—exactly what I’d like to see on my Mac. If your business doesn’t require access to Office apps, but you’re still looking for a great Word processor for your iPad, there’s no question that Word for iPad can punch that ticket, too.

*** IFTTT Now Works With iOS Push Notifications And Looks Great On The iPad ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/04/03/ifttt-ios-push-notifications-looks-great-ipad/>
Martin Bryant, The Next Web

> Push notifications work exactly the same as any other output from the service. Set up an input (for example, ‘If the Weather Channel says it will rain tomorrow’) and select iOS push notifications as the result. Voila! You’ll get a message on your phone every time the rain’s predicted for the next day.

*** iOS 7 Bug Allows Anyone To Disable Find My iPhone And Bypass Activation Lock Without A Password ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/03/ios-7-bug-allows-anyone-to-disable-find-my-iphone-and-bypass-activation-lock-without-a-password/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Independent Bookstore Lives! Why Amazon’s Conquest Will Never Be Complete ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/04/04/the_independent_bookstore_lives_why_amazons_conquest_will_never_be_complete/>
Andrew Leonard, Salon

> What explains this renaissance? The collapse of Borders in 2011 is one big piece of the puzzle.

*** Why We All Love Numbers ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/apr/04/why-all-love-numbers-mathematics>
Alex Bellos, The Guardian

> We cannot help but react to numbers, but why are odds masculine and evens feminine? Why were Levi's 501s and WD-40 given those names? And is number 3 really 'warm' and 'friendly'?

*** Boxers And Ballerinas ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/gallery/2014/apr/03/boxers-and-ballerinas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Toni Bentley, The New York Review Of Books