[MyAppleMenu] Apr 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 2 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Deceptively Simple iPhone Stand Is Both Sturdy And Super-portable ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2138130/deceptively-simple-iphone-stand-is-both-sturdy-and-super-portable.html>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> This business card-sized plastic stand is far sturdier and more useful than it might appear at first glance.

*** Tuning Into The Curious Design Decisions Of iTunes Radio ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/tuning-into-the-curious-design-decisions-of-itunes-radio/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

> Unfortunately, a lot of them seem like compromises in order to keep their iTunes Music Store from being undermined, or maybe it was because this was the only way they were going to succeed in their negotiations with the record labels to launch the service.

*** Apple Releases Safari 7.0.3 And 6.1.3 ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/01/apple-releases-safari-7-0-3-and-6-1-3/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Along with security and bug fixes, the update now includes options to customize push notifications, and support for more custom top-level domains.

*** Microsoft Word Vs Apple Pages Review: Which Is The Best Word Processor For The iPad ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/business/microsoft-word-vs-apple-pages-review-3509615/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Microsoft has done a superb job though, and Word for iPad is a very good recreation of the desktop app. Whether it's £7.99 per month good is, of course, another matter. Whether you really need Word on your iPad is yet another thing entirely. Much depends on your day-to-day working life. One thing is for sure: if you spend a lot of time working with Word documents with other people then this app will prove to be invaluable.

*** Day One For iOS Gets An Update Bringing 'Publish' To The iPad ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/day-one-for-ios-gets-an-update-bringing-publish-to-the-ipad>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> Day One, the popular journaling platform, has just updated its iOS app to bring support for “Publish” to Apple’s iPad. In addition, images can now be added into Day One from the iOS clipboard, and a large number of important fixes have been applied to the universal application.

*** Fantastical For iPad Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/fantastical-for-ipad-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Based on the solid foundation of Fantastical 2 for iPhone, Fantastical for iPad expands the app’s functionality to take advantage of the larger screen while retaining intuitive features and powerful advanced options. I put Fantastical in my dock when I received the first beta in November, and I wouldn’t be able to go back to using Apple’s Calendar and Reminders apps on my iPad.

Also:
• <a href="http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/02/fantastical-for-ipad-completes-the-improved-calendar-suite-and-its-pretty-sweet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29">Review: Fantastical for iPad completes the improved calendar suite… and it’s pretty sweet</a> (Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac)

*** TextExpander Touch Updated For iOS 7 With Redesign, Group And Snippet Management Improvements ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/textexpander-touch-updated-for-ios-7-with-redesign-group-and-snippet-management-improvements/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Aside from an expected visual update, TextExpander touch 2.5 makes several improvements to group and snippet management: groups can be reordered, and a new detail view combines group renaming with the ability to disable snippet expansion for an entire group of snippets.

*** iWork Updated For Mac, iOS And iCloud ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/04/01/iwork-updated-for-mac-ios-and-icloud/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Big day for iWork. The updates can all be downloaded from their respective App Stores.

*** Build Your Own iAd: Apple Throws Open Door To Platform ***
<http://adage.com/article/digital/apple-expands-iad-developers-adds-video-capabilities/292412/>
Mark Bergen, Advertising Age

> Starting today, anyone with an Apple ID will be able to open an account with iAd Workbench, the company's mobile-ad management tool, and kick off a campaign within two days. Previously, Workbench was only available to registered mobile-app developers.

> At the onset of its mobile-ad business, Apple extended olive branches to a select group of brands, promising premier reach. But advertisers pushed back against its pricey offerings. Now, it appears Apple has concluded money in mobile ads comes from a wide net; in short, it'll look more like Google.

*** Final Forms ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/04/07/140407fa_fact_schulz>
Kathryn Schulz, New Yorker

> What death certificates can tell us, and what they can’t.

*** It's A Living ***
<http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/021_01/12990>
Jerry Stahl, Bookforum

*** Laurie Colwin: A Confidante In The Kitchen ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/dining/laurie-colwin-a-confidante-in-the-kitchen.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Jeff Gordiner, New York Times

> Emily Gould stood in an Upper West Side kitchen on a Saturday evening and gazed into a crumb-encrusted pan full of creamed spinach. “It kind of suffered on the subway a little bit,” she said.

> It was a moment that might have appeared in an essay by the food writer Laurie Colwin, whose recipes were on the menu that night. Ms. Gould is a writer whose first novel will come out this summer, and the apartment belongs to her friend Sadie Stein, a contributing editor for The Paris Review. Both hang out with a young, literary, food-obsessed crowd, and they had met up with two friends to eat baked mustard chicken and that creamed spinach, debating and paying tribute to a writer whose work overflows with stove-centered gatherings just like this one.

*** The End Of Night ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/the-health-effects-of-a-world-without-darkness/>
Rebecca Boyle, Aeon