[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 12 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Dropzone Review: Go Drag-and-drop Crazy With OS X ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046852/dropzone-review-go-drag-and-drop-crazy-with-os-x.html#tk.rss_all>
Ray Aguilera, Macworld

> At it’s simplest, Dropzone lives in your menubar, and expands to a palate of actions, whether that’s compressing a file and emailing it, or uploading a picture to your Flickr account.

*** iPhone 5C Preorders Begin Friday At 12:01 A.m. PST, 3 A.m. EST ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/12/iphone-5c-preorders-begin-friday-at-12-01-a-m-pst-3-a-m-est/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Calendars 5 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/calendars-5-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Calendars gets close to being my ideal app for the current state of calendar and Reminders clients. It looks good and it’s powerful, but it lacks some of the more niche features of Agenda and Fantastical and it needs improvements for Reminders. Overall, it’s solid calendar and reminder client and my favorite option on the iPad right now.

*** Reeder 2 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/reeder-2-review-2/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Reeder 2 is a Universal app for the iPhone and iPad. Like the old Reeder, it supports Readability, Fever, Feedbin, Feed Wrangler, and Feedly as reading and sync services, plus local RSS subscriptions with no syncing.

*** The New Reeder For iOS ***
<http://shawnblanc.net/2013/09/the-new-reeder-for-ios/>
Shawn Blanc

> Reeder continues to works with many of the numerous RSS syncing services, including my personal favorite, Feed Wrangler. And what’s great is that this new version of Reeder has added support for Feed Wrangler’s Smart Streams.

*** Organizing And Creating iPhoto Projects ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048593/organizing-and-creating-iphoto-projects.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** iCloud Keychain Removed In iOS 7 GM ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/11/icloud-keychain-removed-in-ios-7-gm/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> iCloud Keychain is also newly tagged as "Coming soon" on Apple's iOS 7 feature page and while it is unclear why it has been removed from the GM, it is likely that Apple has chosen to provide the feature alongside OS X Mavericks, which is slated to be released later this year.

*** Why Apple's iPhone 5C Case Is Pure Trash ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3017158/why-apples-iphone-5c-case-is-pure-trash>
John Brownlee, Co.Design

> What is mystifying to me is the way the polkadot grid of the iPhone 5C case half-obscures, half-exposes all of this text. It looks terrible, like a Playskool fishnet stocking that has been sloppily pulled over a sign.

Johnny Ive needs to be the senior vice president of design for hardware, software, <i>and</i> cases.

*** The IPhone's Secret Flights From China To Your Local Apple Store ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-11/the-iphone-s-secret-flights-from-china-to-your-local-apple-store.html>
Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

> The multi-pronged operation has been built up under Cook, who oversaw Apple's supply chain before being tapped as Steve Jobs's successor in 2011. Getting iPhones seamlessly moved from factories to customers is critical for the Cupertino, California-based company, which derives more than half of its annual revenue from the flagship product. Apple also relies on a sales spike after a product's release. It sold more than 5 million units in the debut weekend for the iPhone 5 last year.

*** Is It Time For Apple To Update App Store Pricing Rules? ***
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3017187/open-company/is-it-time-for-apple-to-update-app-store-pricing-rules>
Michael Grothaus, Fast Company

> While Case does admit that many customers are happy to get apps like Final Cut Pro X for only $199, he thinks Apple’s current software pricing strategy on the Mac App Store is keeping developers and users from investing in high-end software.

*** Ruminating About Apple’s Lowercase Letters ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14099?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> From the perspective of someone who lives and breathes text, this is a wrong-headed move, because it is both inconsistent and introduces confusion-causing ambiguity, not just into everything that’s written from now on, but also into the historical record. From now on, whenever you see the word “iPhone 5s” in a sentence, you’ll have to read carefully to determine if it’s talking about the iPhone 5s, or several iPhone 5s.

Personally, "iPhone 5S" looks horrible.

*** Apple: New iPhone Not Storing Fingerprints, Doesn’t Like Sweat ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/11/apple-new-iphone-not-storing-fingerprints-doesnt-like-sweat/>
Danny Yadron and Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

> This means that even if someone cracked an iPhone’s encrypted chip, they likely wouldn’t be able to reverse engineer someone’s fingerprint.

> In an interview Wednesday, an Apple spokesman pointed to other security features the company has added to the phone. Apple customers who wish the use Touch ID also have to create a passcode as a backup. Only that passcode (not a finger) can unlock the phone if the phone is rebooted or hasn’t been unlocked for 48 hours.

*** Examined Lives ***
<http://theamericanscholar.org/examined-lives/#.UjHPJhbXct8>
Phyllis Rose, The American Scholar