[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 26 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** OS X 10.9 Mavericks And Ebooks: The Good, The Bad And The Confusing ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/os-x-10-9-mavericks-and-ebooks-the-good-the-bad-and-the-confusing/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** iPad Air Vs. Retina iPad Mini Vs. iPad 2 Vs. iPad Mini: Which iPad Model Should You Get? ***
<http://www.imore.com/ipad-air-vs-retina-ipad-mini-vs-ipad-2-vs-ipad-mini-which-ipad-model-should-you-get>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Grove Dock For iPhone: Solid Beauty ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/25/grove-dock-for-iphone-solid-beauty/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Review: Grip & Shoot iPhone Photography Pistol Grip ***
<http://www.gizmag.com/grip-and-shoot-review/29546/>
Ben Coxworth, Gizmag

> The device is a pistol grip attachment for the iPhone (4S and higher), allowing users to shoot stills and video one-handed, without having their fingers awkwardly splayed to reach the touchscreen controls.

*** Apple's New Mac iWork Apps: A Big Step Back In Workflow Automation ***
<http://www.imore.com/apples-new-mac-iwork-apps-big-step-back-workflow-automation>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> What I suspect happened is that Apple needed to streamline development of the new iWork Mac apps by making them as similar as possible to their iOS counterparts. They took the path of least resistance, and we're left with less capable software that's prettier to look at.

> That's not something that Mac users should just roll over and accept. Our Macs are more capable than our iPads. And we should insist that developers of Mac apps - Apple and third-parties alike - help us get the most out of that experience, not get in our way.

*** Class Action OKd In Tech Workers' Salary Claims ***
<http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Class-action-OKd-in-tech-workers-salary-claims-4927122.php>
Bob Egelko, San Franciso Chronicle

> Tens of thousands of engineers and technical workers at Apple, Google and other giant Silicon Valley firms have won a federal judge's approval to pursue a class-action suit against the companies for allegedly suppressing wages by agreeing not to recruit or hire each other's employees.

*** Sync Contacts And Calendars With Your iPhone Via iTunes? Not In Mavericks You Don't ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2057971/sync-contacts-and-calendars-with-your-iphone-via-itunes-not-in-mavericks-you-dont.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> The ability to sync contact and calendars stored locally on your Mac with an iOS device is gone.

*** First Look: Tweetbot 3 For iPhone Revisits A Classic ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2057927/first-look-tweetbot-3-for-iphone-revisits-a-classic.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> It’s clear a lot of time and work has gone into the app. There’s a heavy emphasis on physics: Tap the account switcher in the top left corner and you’ll see your accounts “bounce” into place as the interface fades into the background. Tap and hold on one of the customizable buttons on the toolbar and the alternative options will not just slide but <i>fly</i> into view.

*** IM+ Updated For iOS 7, Makes Off-the-Record Messaging Free For All Chats ***
<http://www.imore.com/im-updated-ios-7-makes-record-messaging-free-all-chats>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> IM+ is a messenger client for both iPhone and iPad that can combine all your favorite instant messenger clients into one easy to manage place. The new 8.0 version brings with it an updated interface that's been designed with iOS 7 in mind as well as making encrypted messaging free for everyone.

*** How To View Shared Links In Safari For OS X Mavericks ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-use-shared-links-feature-safari-under-os-x-mavericks>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> The Shared Links feature in Safari can pull from Twitter and LInkedIn so you can easily access all the links your friends are sharing without ever even visiting each respective website.

*** Mavericks Fully Fixes 802.11Ac Transfer Speeds In OS X ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/mavericks-fully-fixes-802-11ac-transfer-speeds-in-os-x/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Two big takeaways here: first, AFP transfer speeds have improved even more since 10.8.5, on the order of about 21 percent. Second, SMB transfer speeds have finally been fixed—these numbers show a 137 percent increase, well over double the transfer speeds that were possible before. SMB is now on par with AFP speeds.

*** Vine Updates To Add Drafts And Editing Tools ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/25/vine-updates-to-add-drafts-and-editing-tools/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** Super Squares Brings Casual Fun To iPhone, iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/25/super-squares-brings-casual-fun-to-iphone-ipad/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

> I don't keep many games on my iPhone, but I am fond of the pick-up-and-play variety -- the type of game you can jump into at any time and enjoy a few rounds. Super Squares (free with in-app purchases) is a good example of this type of game, in that it's effortless to learn, challenging and fun.

*** Beautiful Red Mac Pro Designed By Jony Ive For Charity Auction Is Unveiled ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/beautiful-red-mac-pro-designed-by-jony-ive-for-charity-auction-is-unveiled>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

> Just listed on the Sotheby’s site, the pictured red Mac Pro is expected to fetch between $40,000 and $60,000.

*** Theodolite Goes To The Great Wall Of China ***
<http://hrtapps.com/blogs/20131023/>
Craig A. Hunter

> That means Apple shot this video, did editing, production, etc., within the last 20 days in order to show it during the Special Event.

Wow.

*** The Secret Life Of A Manhattan Doorman ***
<http://www.narrative.ly/moonlighters/the-secret-life-of-a-manhattan-doorman/>
Garrett McGrath, Narratively

> A college student is stoked to land a summer gig as a union-wage doorman—until he learns the job description includes everything from hauling out hoarders to discovering dead bodies.

*** Book Review: ‘A Cruel And Shocking Act’ By Philip Shenon ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-a-cruel-and-shocking-act-by-philip-shenon/2013/10/25/867bb340-3b3a-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html>
Beverly Gage, Washington Post

> Rather than attempting to offer the Ultimate Truth of the Kennedy Assassination, Shenon presents a persuasive, deeply researched account of why, 50 years out, that truth still seems so hard to find.

*** Where Have All The Geniuses Gone? ***
<http://chronicle.com/article/Where-Have-All-the-Geniuses/142353/>
Darrin M. McMahon, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

> The democratization of genius represents a victory for human equality. But if everyone can be a genius, then what does it mean?

*** Why Can't We All Just Get Along? The Uncertain Biological Basis Of Morality ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/11/why-we-fightand-can-we-stop/309525/>
Robert Wright, The Atlantic