[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 23 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple Now Offering Keynote Remote For Free ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/23/apple-now-offering-keynote-remote-for-free/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Day One For Mac Updated With Maps-Integrated Features For OS X Mavericks ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/day-one-for-mac-updated-with-maps-integrated-features-for-os-x-mavericks>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Bring Out The Popcorn: Apple Adds New Apple TV Channel For Watching iMovie Theater ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/bring-out-the-popcorn-apple-adds-new-apple-tv-channel-for-watching-imovie-theater>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Debuting in the new versions of iMovie for iOS and iMovie for Mac, iMovie integrates with iCloud to let you watch your shared clips, movies, and trailers on all of your Apple devices, including your Apple TV.

*** Evernote App Updated With Customized Homescreen Layout, Mapping & Improved Saved Searches ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/23/evernote-app-updated-with-customized-homescreen-layout-mapping-improved-saved-searches/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Mail In Mavericks Changes The Gmail Equation ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14219?rss>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

> Apple Mail in Mavericks treats Gmail accounts differently than any previous version of Mail did. Although some of the changes are quite clever, the implementation has flaws. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I’ve seen a number of folks on Twitter complaining about some of the same things I’ve found. Here’s what I’ve observed and what you can (and can’t) do about it.

*** Xcode 5.0.1 Released With Mavericks SDK And New Build / Debug Features ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/xcode-5-0-1-released-with-mavericks-sdk-and-new-build-debug-features/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

> Developers can now use the “Debug Gauge” to see how much power their apps use in realtime. In addition, to go along with the new version of OS X Server that was released today, “continuous integration bots build and test your iOS and OS X apps on OS X Server.”

*** Apple's Podcasts App Updated To Version 2.0, Brings iOS 7 Styling And Playback Improvements Along With It ***
<http://www.imore.com/apples-podcasts-app-updated-version-20-brings-ios-styling-along-it>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** iTunes 11.1.2, iBooks Author Update Released With Mavericks Improvements ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/itunes-11-1-2-ibooks-author-update-released-with-mavericks-improvements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gruman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** What You Need To Know About Apple's Free Apps Policy ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056159/what-you-need-to-know-about-apples-free-apps-policy.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Apple made waves during Tuesday’s media event when the company announced that its iLife and iWork suite would be free for customers who buy a new Mac or iOS device. But the apps are also free for users who already have the apps installed, and one app is free, period. Here’s our guide to demystifying Apple’s new pricing structure on its iLife and iWork apps.

*** How To Make A Bootable Mavericks Install Drive ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Installing Mavericks: What You Need To Know ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055518/installing-mavericks-what-you-need-to-know.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** How To Install Mavericks Over Leopard ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056564/how-to-install-mavericks-over-leopard.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** OS X 10.9 Mavericks: The Ars Technica Review ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

> No longer an apex predator, OS X takes some time for introspection.

*** OS X Mavericks: Tips, Tricks, And Details ***
<http://www.macstories.net/roundups/os-x-mavericks-tips-tricks-and-details/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> At MacStories, we enjoy finding all the little tweaks and hidden features that come with a brand new OS X version each year. In this post, you’ll find over 70 tips, tricks, and details of OS X Mavericks that we’ve collected throughout the summer since the first beta release the new operating system.

*** OS X Mavericks: The Review ***
<http://512pixels.net/2013/10/mavericks-review/>
512 Pixels

*** Apple Releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks For Free ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14213?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Breaking from tradition, Apple today released OS X 10.9 Mavericks with no more specific advance notice than the “fall” promise from June’s Worldwide Developer Conference. A more interesting first is that Mavericks will also be free to all Mac users, at least those who can access the Mac App Store, which goes back to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

*** Retina MacBook Pro Gets Major Overhaul ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056572/retina-macbook-pro-gets-major-overhaul.html>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Apple on Tuesday announced major updates to the Retina MacBook Pro, adding new processors, PCIe-based storage, and Thunderbolt 2. Apple offers five standard configurations of the new laptop.

*** Apple Reduces non-Retina MacBook Line To A Single Offering ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056568/apple-reduces-non-retina-macbook-line-to-a-single-offering.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Apple didn’t make a formal announcement at its event, but if you go to the MacBook Pro section of the Apple Store, you find that Apple now offers only one model of the non-Retina MacBook Pro.

*** New Mac Pro To Arrive In December ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/10/22/new-mac-pro-to-arrive-in-december/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> The Mac Pro is available with a 3.7GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $2,999; and with a 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of VRAM each, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $3,999.

*** iPad Air And Retina iPad Mini: Our Complete Overview ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/ipad-air-and-retina-ipad-mini-our-complete-overview/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Hands-on With The New iPad Air And Retina iPad Mini ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/hands-on-with-the-new-ipad-air-and-retina-ipad-mini/#image-8>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> The new tablets fix the iPad's biggest problems, if you're OK with what they cost.

*** Apple Announces iPad Air, iPad Mini With Retina Display ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14212?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Both new iPads feature Apple’s new A7 system-on-a-chip found in the iPhone 5s, 2048-by-1536 resolution Retina displays, new MIMO Wi-Fi technology that uses multiple antennas for faster speeds, wider LTE support, ten hours of battery life, and redesigned 5 megapixel rear cameras with larger pixels and better low-light sensitivity.

*** iWork App Updates Arrive On The Mac App Store ***
<http://www.imore.com/iwork-app-updates-arrive-mac-app-store>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** iOS 7.0.3 Is Released With Fixes For iMessage, Accelerometer Bugs ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055812/ios-7-0-3-is-released-with-fixes-for-imessage-accelerometer-bugs.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> The update adds support for iCloud Keychain and should provide two big fixes: both to the accelerometer calibration issue some users were seeing and recent iMessage bugs.

*** Apple Posts Full iPad & Mac Keynote Video, In Case You Missed It! ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-posts-full-ipad-mac-keynote-video-case-you-missed-it>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** Pixelmator 3.0 FX Released: Adds Layer Styles, ‘Liquify’ Warping Tools, Mac Pro And Mavericks Optimizations ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/pixelmator-3-0-fx-released-adds-layer-styles-liquify-warping-tools-mac-pro-and-mavericks-optimizations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac