[MyAppleMenu] Oct 2, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 2 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** At Apple Campus 2, Security Will Be A Priority ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-security-will-be-priority-at-apple-campus-2-20130927,0,6584984.story>
Chris O'Brien, Los Angeles Times

> If you visit Apple's current headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, you can drive around the road that circles the buildings, and even park and walk right into the store on campus.

> But at Apple Campus 2, it will be a different story. The goal is to cut off public access as completely as possible. It will create what one former city official described as a "moat" in northeast Cupertino.

*** How To Check For And Fix OS X Boot Drive Errors ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57605475-263/how-to-check-for-and-fix-os-x-boot-drive-errors/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** HandBrakeBatch Review: Easy-does-it Batch Video Conversion ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049117/handbrakebatch-review-easy-does-it-batch-video-conversion.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> HandBrake can handle batch conversion of video files, but HandBrakeBatch makes the process even easier.

*** InstaWeather Pro 3.0 Adds New Social Features And iOS 7 Enhancements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/instaweather-pro-3-0-adds-new-social-features-and-ios-7-enhancements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Dealing With The Quirks Of iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2050355/dealing-with-the-quirks-of-ios-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

> Lately I’ve been bombarded with questions regarding tiny problems too small to consume an entire column space. But that cup now overfloweth, and so, onward.

*** Fractal Kings Return With A Breathtaking iOS App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042245/fractal-kings-return-with-a-breathtaking-ios-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

*** It's The Little Things: What We Like And Don't Like In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2050766/its-the-little-things-what-we-like-and-dont-like-in-ios-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Macworld

> Now that we’ve been living with iOS 7 for a while, we’ve had a chance to uncover some little things we might not have noticed at first. Some of those little things are good, others not so much. Here’s our list.

I really love the Control Center. (Makes me wonder if I should have jail-broken my iPhone previously.)
I really (still) hate pressing the home button, because I know some day the home button will be broken. Apple should put a home button in Control Center. And maybe also a Siri button.

*** iTunes Radio’s Six Skip Limit Makes Listening Complicated ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-radios-six-skip-limit-makes-listening-complicated/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> I find myself quickly hitting my six-skip limit on several stations. Because of this, I move on to something else; or stop listening to iTunes Radio.

I had a friend who, back in the era of over-the-air radio as the main source of music, will just switch to another station whenever she found something she didn't like.

*** iMessages To Nowhere? ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/01/imessages-to-nowhere/>
Wall Street Journal

> Apple Inc. said it’s aware of a glitch in iOS7 that is disrupting some iMessage texts and is working on a fix to quell mounting complaints after the company released the biggest overhaul of its iPhone operating system in years.

> The most frequent complaint is that messages appear to be sent, but later appear with a big red exclamation point indicating they did not go through.

*** Apple's Homepage Circa 2001 Shows Us How Far We've Come ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/01/apples-homepage-circa-2001-shows-us-how-far-weve-come/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> The highlight of the site is a fancy graphic showing off the then-new iBook. The laptop was capable of interfacing with a whole bunch of state-of-the-art devices such as CD players, digital cameras and camcorders, PDAs and Apple's own UFO-shaped AirPort.

I still have two of the type of devices shown in the picture: a laptop (MacBook Air), and a Wi-fi base station (Apple's previous generation).

*** Fingerprints Are Usernames, Not Passwords ***
<http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2013/10/fingerprints-are-user-names-not.html>
Dustin Kirkland, From The Canyon Edge

> But biometrics cannot, and absolutely must not, be used to authenticate an identity. For authentication, you need a password or passphrase. Something that can be independently chosen, changed, and rotated.

*** Scribd Challenges Amazon And Apple With ‘Netflix For Books’ ***
<http://www.wired.com/business/2013/10/scribd_book_subscription/>
Cade Metz, Wired

> Spotify did it for music. Netflix did it for movies. And now, Trip Adler and Scribd are doing it for books.

> The 29-year-old entrepreneur and his six-year-old San Francisco startup just unveiled an online subscription service that gives you unlimited access to a large library of digital books for a flat monthly fee, including titles from big-name publishing house HarperCollins.

*** Machine Language: How Siri Found Its Voice ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4596374/machine-language-how-siri-found-its-voice>
Lessley Anderson, The Verge

> Inside the art of making computers talk.

*** Apple Issues MacBook Pro With Retina Display, MacBook Air Software Updates To Solve Battery Bugs ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/01/apple-issues-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-macbook-air-software-updates-to-solve-battery-bugs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Siri Can Flip Coins, Roll Dice ***
<http://finerthings.in/ios/siri-can-flip-coins-roll-dice/>
David Chartier, Finer Things In Tech

*** What Stanley Kubrick Got Wrong About “The Shining” ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/01/what_stanley_kubrick_got_wrong_about_the_shining/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> Stephen King has always disliked Stanley Kubrick's film of "The Shining," and he has a point.

*** Solo By William Boyd – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/02/solo-james-bond-william-boyd-review>
Richard Williams, The Guardian