[MyAppleMenu] Nov 8, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 8 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Drafts 3.5 For iOS Review: Note-taking App Lets You Focus On Writing First ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2061240/drafts-3-5-for-ios-review-note-taking-app-lets-you-focus-on-writing-first.html#tk.rss_all>
Brian Beam, Macworld

> Drafts is a very powerful and flexible tool that mainly provides the means to an end, not the end product itself. It's one of a growing number of apps that are helping to break through the rigid confines of the iOS application sandbox and getting apps to work together in ways that were once thought impossible.

*** An iPhone Tester Caught In Apple's Supply Chain ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-07/an-iphone-tester-caught-in-apples-supply-chain>
Cam Simpson, Bloomberg

> Apple discovered this during an audit of a Taiwan component maker in 2008. An Apple auditor saw the passports of foreign workers stacked in a safe, according to a person familiar with Apple’s audits. The manager said his workers owed money to recruiters, so he kept their passports to guarantee they paid up. Apple realized many migrants could be trapped abroad for months or even years because of seized passports, debts, and interest, says Dionne Harrison, a London-based executive for the consulting firm Impactt, which works with Apple. Apple, along with others, calls that bonded labor, a form of modern-day indentured servitude, one step removed from slavery. Apple blames the worst abuses on companies that rely on a daisy chain of payment-demanding brokers and recruiters that reaches “all the way back [to] the worker’s home village,” as Apple put it in its 2010 supplier report.

> Because these problems are widespread in the industry, Apple in 2009 tried barring suppliers from using workers who had been charged more than one month’s net factory wages. But by Apple’s own accounting, the problem got worse. Last year the company’s audits turned up $6.4 million in fees paid by workers beyond the company’s prescribed limit—compared with $6.7 million in the previous four years combined. And Apple audited fewer plants last year than it did in 2011. The company orders its suppliers to refund workers charged beyond its limit.

*** Preference Setting Can Balk OS X Mavericks Installation ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/preference-setting-can-balk-os-x-mavericks-installation-7000022965/>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

> An Apple Support Note released this week warns upgraders that an OS X Mavericks installation can be stopped cold by an "incorrect" Date & Time setting.

*** Everpix, Snapchat, And The Startup Lie ***
<http://subimage.com/blog/2013/11/07/everpix-snapchat-and-the-startup-lie/#.Unzk75FKNlI>
The Sublog

> Make money? No, don’t do that!

*** Vodafone Store Evacuated After iPad Explodes ***
<http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/vodafone-store-evacuated-after-ipad-explodes/story-fn6vigfp-1226755945189>
News.com.au

> "A burst of flames" appeared from the charging port of an iPad demo model, a Vodafone spokesperson confirmed to news.com.au.

> News.com.au understands an Apple representative visited the store on Wednesday to collect the device for testing to find out what caused the incident however Apple has refused to respond to News.com.au's requests for comments.

*** OS X 10.9 Mavericks: Restore Missing Ebooks To iBooks App ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/os-x-10-9-mavericks-restore-missing-ebooks-to-ibooks-app/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Facebook iOS App Now Lets iPad Users Edit Posts ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/07/facebook-ios-app-now-lets-ipad-users-edit-posts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Posts Two EFI Updates For Late 2013 MacBook Pros With Retina Displays ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-posts-two-efi-updates-late-2013-macbook-pros-retina-displays>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Instacast Podcast App For Mac Now Available From The Mac App Store ***
<http://www.imore.com/instacast-podcast-app-mac-now-available-mac-app-store>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** OS X 10.9 Mavericks: Enhanced Dictation Is A Memory Hog, And Doesn’t Work Very Well ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/os-x-10-9-mavericks-enhanced-dictation-is-a-memory-hog-and-doesnt-work-very-well/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Apple Issues Mail Update For OS X Mavericks To Address Gmail Compatibility Issues ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/07/apple-issues-mail-update-for-os-x-mavericks-to-address-gmail-com/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** Apple Fixes 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Trackpad/keyboard Issues, Graphics Bug On 15-Inch ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/07/apple-releases-promised-fix-for-retina-macbook-pro-trackpadkeyboard-issues/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** RunKeeper Gets M7 And AirDrop Support ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/07/runkeeper-gets-m7-and-airdrop-support/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> iPhone 5s owners will love the fact that they can now turn on a new feature called Pocket Track. Have you ever "accidentally" gone on a walk of more than 15 minutes and then realized after the fact that you forgot to start tracking? Well, now Pocket Track -- when enabled -- works hand-in-hand with the M7 motion coprocessor to automatically realize that you've been active for more than 15 minutes and retroactively tracks the walk.

*** Google Drive For iOS Update Adds Multiple Account Support, Single Sign-in ***
<http://www.imore.com/google-drive-ios-update-adds-multiple-account-support-single-sign>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Apple Issues GarageBand 10 Update ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/07/apple-issues-garageband-10-update/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Apple released GarageBand 10.0.1 for the Mac late last night, citing fixes for "a number of minor issues" and improved overall app stability.

*** Some Apple Stores Closing Early In Coming Weeks For Quarterly Meetings, Not ‘Mysterious’ Product Launch ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/07/debunk-some-apple-stores-closing-early-in-coming-weeks-for-quarterly-meetings/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** A List Of New iOS 7 Keyboard Shortcuts ***
<http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/a-list-of-new-ios-7-keyboard-shortcuts/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Right now, new keyboard shortcuts have only been added to Safari, Mail, and Pages in a very limited fashion. While they are consistent with their OS X counterparts, Apple has only brought a few of the Mac’s shortcuts to its iOS 7 apps, leaving other apps like Messages or Reminders without shortcut support. It’s likely that, with time, Apple will bring more shortcuts to Safari, Mail, and other stock apps.

*** Breaking Dad: The Stay-at-Home Life ***
<http://www.gq.com/life/mens-lives/201311/stay-at-home-dad-fatherhood>
Alex French, GQ