[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 31 18:59:01 EDT 2013

**** Streets - The Street View App Offers Google Vector Maps, Panorama Sharing And More ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/streets-the-street-view-app-offers-google-vector-maps-panorama-sharing-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** Apple Raises Prices For Some Products In Japan On Yen ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-31/apple-raises-prices-for-some-products-in-japan-on-yen.html>
Naoko Fujimura & Takashi Amano, Bloomberg

> “We made some pricing adjustments due to changes in foreign exchange rates,” Takashi Takabayashi, a spokesman for Apple in Japan, said by phone today. He declined to elaborate.

**** Camino browser project discontinued after ten years ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040407/camino-browser-project-discontinued-after-ten-years.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Answers To Your Questions About iTunes And Videos ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040081/answers-to-your-questions-about-itunes-and-videos.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Many of the iTunes Guy columns focus on music, since the majority of the questions I receive are about that kind of media. But I get a fair number of questions about videos, and in this week’s column, I cover four questions dealing with videos: their formats and tags, and how to make smart playlists to group movies by title.

**** Apple Sends Biting Response To App Developer Who Says No One Cares About Platform ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/05/31/apple-sends-biting-response-to-app-developer-who-says-no-one-cares-about-platform/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> Donald Leka, CEO of TransMedia, recently released a press release announcing a new iPhone app, Glide, that lets users share data between multiple mobile devices with the cloud. In the press release, Leka made a few comments saying people don’t really care about what platform they’re using, which Apple wasn’t too impressed with.

**** How To Turn Your Mac Into An Alarm Clock ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-turn-your-mac-into-an-alarm-clock/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Paula DuPont, Mactuts+

**** ReadKit Updated With RSS Support, Smart Folders And Other Features ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/readkit-updated-with-rss-support-smart-folders-and-other-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** Tweetbot For Mac Updated With Profile Cover Photo Support, Media Timelines, And More ****
<http://www.imore.com/tweetbot-mac-updated-profile-cover-photo-support-media-timelines-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

**** Evernote Introduces Two-step Verification, Other Security Enhancements ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/30/evernote-introduces-two-step-verification-other-security-enhanc/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Long-standing Fountain Snags Apple's San Francisco Store Plans ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/30/long-standing-fountain-snags-apples-san-francisco-store-plans/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** How To Find And Delete Duplicate Songs In Your iTunes Library ****
<http://www.imore.com/how-find-and-delete-duplicate-songs-itunes>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

**** Apple Sells 100 Million iPod Touch Units ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/05/30/apple-sells-100-million-ipod-touch-units/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** How One Irish Woman Made $22Bn For Apple In A Year ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/29/apple-ireland-cork-cathy-kearney>
Simon Bowers, The Guardian

> Cathy Kearney, an accountant in the Irish city of Cork, appears to live a fairly modest home life. A graduate of the local university, her home for 15 years has been a dairy farm outside Youghal, a seaside town a short drive from the city.

> The 49-year-old lives with her husband and children in a large, but far from grand, farmhouse. Outside work she is involved in the local church. She is also, at first sight, the brains behind much of Apple's exceptional global success in recent times.

**** For Strong Daughters, Stop With The Sex Stereotypes ****
<http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/28/opinion/perry-gender-children/index.html?hpt=hp_c4>
David M. Perry, CNN

> A boy received best engineer. A girl got best friend. Another girl was the best helper, and another most compassionate. A boy received best break dancer. A girl was named most athletic, and the teacher told us how when all the class raced around the track this girl "beat everyone! Even the boys!" And then my daughter got her certificate, showing her in a funky orange sweater, tight pants, and holding a bowling ball. Her award -- best dressed.

> Many decades after the feminist movement of the 1960s, why are we still stuck in this gender-norming rut?

**** Apple Pulls App That Claimed To 'Cure' Homosexuality ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040348/apple-pulls-app-that-claimed-to-cure-homosexuality.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Review: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic For iPad Is Just As Good As The Original ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040271/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-for-ipad-is-just-as-good-as-the-original.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

**** Making Music With Your Mac Or iOS Device? Check Out iRig HD And Amplitube Studio ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/05/30/making-music-with-your-mac-or-ios-device-check-out-irig-hd-and-amplitube-studio/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29>
Mark Crump, GigaOM

**** Repurposing A Mac Mini G4 As An iTunes Server ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/media/repurposing-a-mac-mini-g4-as-an-itunes-server/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Johnny Winter, Mactuts+

> In this tutorial, I’ll be showing you how to get your G4 Mac up to speed in order that you can use it as an iTunes media server for your household.

**** The $229, Camera-less iPod Touch ****
<http://www.manton.org/2013/05/the_229_cameraless.html>
Manton Reece

> I’m sure dropping the rear camera was a very tough decision for Apple, especially thinking about wanting more memory and speed to run iOS 7. But I’d rather have no FaceTime, slower CPU, less memory, and only 8 GB of storage any day of the week if it meant I could take photos. The rear camera is priceless.

Also:
• <a href="http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/opinion-apples-latest-move-was-brilliant-and-will-shake-up-the-industry">Apple's Latest Move Was Brilliant And Will Shake Up The Industry</a> (Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice): The iPod touch 16GB represents Apple’s first foray into the lower cost mobile device market. And this is why it is such a big deal.

**** 13-Inch MacBook Pro Prices For Education Customers Dropped By $100 ****
<http://www.imore.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-prices-education-customers-dropped-100>
Richard Devine, iMore

> $100 has been chopped from the price of both spec 13-inch Pro's, with the cheapest now costing $999.

**** Adobe Releases Kuler For iPhone ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/30/adobe-releases-kuler-for-iphone/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> Simply snap a picture in the app's camera view and it will automatically build color palettes based on the image you capture.

**** iCloud Users Take Note: Apple Two-step Protection Won’t Protect Your Data ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/icloud-users-take-note-apple-two-step-protection-wont-protect-your-data/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> "In its current implementation, Apple’s two-factor authentication does not prevent anyone from restoring an iOS backup onto a new (not trusted) device," ElcomSoft CEO Vladimir Katalov wrote. "In addition, and this is much more of an issue, Apple’s implementation does not apply to iCloud backups, allowing anyone and everyone knowing the user’s Apple ID and password to download and access information stored in the iCloud. This is easy to verify; simply log in to your iCloud account, and you’ll have full information to everything stored there without being requested any additional logon information."

**** Letter To A Young Programmer Considering A Startup ****
<http://al3x.net/2013/05/23/letter-to-a-young-programmer.html?src=longreads>
Alex Payne

> A startup is just a means to an end. Consider the end, and don’t seek to revel in the means. What do you care about? Who do you want to help? Does a startup make meeting your goals easier or harder? Where will it leave you when your goal is met? Where will it leave you if it isn’t?

**** Team Taco ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/magazine/team-taco.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sam Sifton, New York Times