[MyAppleMenu] May 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 29 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Grab Bag: Missing Surround Sound, A Lost Mac, And More ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040046/grab-bag-missing-surround-sound-a-lost-mac-and-more.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Tim Cook’s Answer To My First Question ****
<http://www.asymco.com/2013/05/29/tim-cooks-answer-to-my-first-question/>
Horace Dediu, Asymco

> The comparison to iPod is not entirely appropriate because as a music player, the iPod had a relatively small set of jobs to do. It was hired for exercise, escapism, isolation, etc. It was not hired for apps and services which extend the medium itself. In other words it was not a computer. As a computer, the iPhone has a near infinite set of jobs to be done and it’s the hundreds of thousands of apps which help it perform them. But as a result the iPhone needs to conform to the dynamics of ecosystems and that means consistency of APIs and user experience. It cannot vary in terms of input methods, or be below minimum requirements of screen size or memory and power.

**** Popular Restaurant Reservation App OpenTable Finally Goes Universal ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/popular-restaurant-reservation-app-opentable-finally-goes-universal>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** Apple’s Tim Cook: The Full D11 Interview (Video) ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20130529/apples-tim-cook-the-full-d11-interview-video/?mod=atd_homepage_carousel>
Ina Fried, All Things D

> Cook declined many, <i>many</i> opportunities to talk about new products.

> But he did give his view on taxes (the current system should be gutted), talked a bit about about acquisitions (the pace is increasing and doing a big one isn’t off the table) and suggested wearable computing is a big deal, even if Google Glass isn’t.

**** Review: Le Vamp For iOS Is The Cutest Endless Running Game Ever ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039790/review-le-vamp-for-ios-is-the-cutest-endless-running-game-ever.html#tk.rss_all>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, Macworld

> If I could rate a game based solely on how adorable it is, High Voltage Software’s free Le Vamp for iOS would easily get five mice. Unfortunately, “adorableness” isn’t really part of the criteria we use for rating games. But Le Vamp’s cuteness is just icing on the cake: this endless side-scrolling runner is a great game, with a couple of twists to keep you playing for hours.

**** How To Clear Your Apple Maps Search History ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039799/how-to-clear-your-apple-maps-search-history.html#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Building Better Slideshows On Your iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039291/building-better-slideshows-on-your-ipad.html#tk.rss_all>
Derrick Story, Macworld

> I move over to iMovie to create my presentations for two reasons. First, I have more control over authoring the video, as you will see in a minute. And second, I can easily share the finished product online to YouTube and other social sites. Plus, it’s an easy workflow.

**** The Transit App Goes 100 Percent Free As It Hits Version 2.0 ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/the-transit-app-goes-100-percent-free-as-it-hits-version-2-0>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** Apple Settles iPhone Water Damage Lawsuit For $53 Million ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887323855804578511720535072276-lMyQjAxMTAzMDIwODEyNDgyWj.html>
Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

> In documents filed with the United States District Court for the Northern District of California Tuesday, class-action attorneys said the money from Apple would be placed in a fund to be shared by roughly 153,000 customers who had been denied warranty coverage under an Apple policy associated with handling water damage. The papers seek court approval of the proposed settlement.

**** Former EPA Administrator, Lisa Jackson, Joining Apple Reporting To Tim Cook ****
<http://www.imore.com/former-epa-administrator-lisa-jackson-joining-apple-reporting-tim-cook>
Richard Devine, iMore

> Jackson joins Apple to co-ordinate the environmental policies right across the company.

**** Tim Cook Talks TV, Wearable Computing, Smartphone Strategy At D11 Conference ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040044/tim-cook-talks-tv-wearable-computing-smartphone-strategy-at-d11-conference.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Prompted by Mossberg, Cook agreed that consumers are interested in larger screens, but he also pointed out that such screens come at a cost: “People do look at the size. They also look at things like do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life.”

> According to Cook, Apple’s strategy is to weigh all the possible alternatives and come up with what it thinks represents the best possible compromise. “What our customers want is for us to weigh those and come out with a decision. At this point we’ve felt the retina display that we are shipping is overwhelmingly the best."

Also:
• <a href="http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-weve-sold-over-13-million-apple-tvs-half-last-year">Tim Cook announces 13 million Apple TVs sold to date, still playing coy about the future</a> (Richard Devine, iMore)
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/28/4374520/tim-cook-says-jony-ive-ios-redesign-at-wwdc">Tim Cook says Jony Ive is 'really key' to iOS redesign coming at WWDC</a> (Sam Byford, The Verge)
• <a href="http://www.imore.com/apple-open-opening-more-apis-future-not-facebook-home">Apple open to opening more APIs in the future, but not for Facebook Home</a> (Rene Ritchie, iMore)

**** Fandalism’s Philip Kaplan Launches DistroKid, An Affordable Way To Upload Music To Stores Like iTunes ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/28/distrokid-launch/>
Anthony Ha, TechCrunch

**** Keeping A dual-Mac Lifestyle In Sync ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/05/28/keeping-a-dual-mac-lifestyle-in-sync/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29>
Mark Crump, GigaOM

> The Mac App Store, and a handful of cloud-based services are what I use to keep all my data consistent across two machines running OS X.

**** Instacast For Mac ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/instacast-for-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Hands On: Dark Sky 3.0 Lets You Report Your Own Weather ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039994/hands-on-dark-sky-3-0-lets-you-report-your-own-weather.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

**** Umami Burger Comes To New York, Armed With One Addictive Ingredient ****
<http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/05/umami-burger-comes-to-new-york.html>
Adam Platt, Grub Street

> When he’s asked, as he often is these days, about the much-anticipated smackdown between Danny Meyer’s East Coast Shake Shack franchise and his West Coast Umami Burger, which is coming this summer to a New York neighborhood near you, Adam Fleischman likes to make a few things clear. First off, he wants New Yorkers to know that his L.A. Umami ­Burger empire—which has grown, in just four short years, from a $40,000 ­investment to a multimillion-dollar enterprise with madly popular, ever-multiplying outlets in San Francisco and Miami—isn’t a burger joint in the usual ho-hum, ­utilitarian way.

**** Make Peace With Meat ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/dining/meals-with-meat-in-a-supporting-role.html?ref=dining>
Mark Bittman, New York Times

> I’m reminded of a really good plate of slow-roasted lamb shoulder I had in Seattle two weeks ago; there were about six ounces on the plate, and I ate half. It was delicious, and it was enough. This is no longer a conscious thing but a new habit.

> The new habits, I suppose, come from new attitudes. The vast majority of Americans still eat meat at least some of the time. Statistically, most of us eat it in unwise, unsustainable and unhealthful quantities.

**** Chef Daniel Rose: Spring Fever ****
<http://nuvomagazine.com/magazine/summer-2013/chef-daniel-rose>
Lesley Chesterman, Nuvo

> Tucked away on a dark side street at number 6 rue Bailleul, Spring doesn’t grab you at first sight. Yet in the three short years since it opened, it has become one of the hottest tickets in town. What’s the appeal? First, perhaps, it’s far from the usual storybook Parisian restaurant. The look is minimalist, as in concrete floors and unadorned white stone walls; the style here is centred on the plate. The set menu changes weekly, and the room’s ambience surrounding all that lovely fare is fun—far from the usual <i>temples de la haute gastronomie</i> we’ve come to expect in Paris.

**** Weeknight Vegetarian: Going Vegan, For The Day, With Mark Bittman ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/weeknight-vegetarian-going-vegan-for-the-day-with-mark-bittman/2013/05/24/3c99bc3a-c3f4-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Joe Yonan, Washington Post