[MyAppleMenu] May 21, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 21 18:59:01 EDT 2013

**** AT&T Says 'Any' Mobile Video Chat App Will Work On Its Network By The End Of 2013 ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/20/4348672/att-will-allow-all-video-chat-apps-on-its-network-by-end-of-2013>
Adi Robertson, The Verge

**** Apple Rolls Out New iPhone Incentives In India ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/20/apple-rolls-out-new-iphone-incentives-in-india/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

**** Apple Already Pays $1 Out Of Every $40 Tax Dollars The U.S. Collects. How Much More Does The Senate Want? ****
<http://www.imore.com/apple-already-pays-1-out-every-40-tax-dollars-us-collects-how-much-more-does-senate-want>
Chris Umiastowski, iMore

> Today the U.S. government is under pressure to collect more tax revenue. They’re fighting information-based global companies like Apple who have organized themselves, legally, in the best interests of shareholders.

> This is a battle the U.S. government will lose, and they better start looking at alternative ways to solve their tax revenue problems. Picking a fight with their biggest taxpayer seems utterly stupid.

**** TextExpander Touch 2.0 Brings Fill-In Snippets, Formatted Text To iOS ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/textexpander-touch-2-0-brings-fill-in-snippets-formatted-text-to-ios/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> TextExpander touch still isn’t as powerful and polished as TextExpander 4, but it’s gotten closer with today’s major update. Some of its limitations can’t be overcome unless Apple makes profound changes to iOS’ architecture; others could be fixed and improved by Smile.

> Fill-in snippets and a new editor make TextExpander touch 2.0 a fantastic new version of TextExpander that I highly recommend. I look forward to seeing how third-party developers will integrate with the new SDK – TextExpander is now an impressive time-saving utility, but its strength lies in the developer community.

**** Apple To Tell Senate It Pays Every Cent Of Its Taxes ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039292/apple-to-tell-senate-it-pays-every-cent-of-its-taxes.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Apple strenuously asserts that it pays every cent it owes, both to the U.S. government and to the governments of other countries in which it does business. The most significant of those is Ireland, in which Apple has five—count ‘em, five—subsidiaries, each of which the company says adhere to the letter and spirit of the law; Apple says it doesn’t use tax gimmicks, such as offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands or Caribbean nations, and its large foreign holdings are simply due to the fact that the majority of its revenue—61 percent last year—are generated internationally.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/2039299/senate-report-apple-claims-subsidiaries-with-no-taxing-jurisdiction.html#tk.rss_all">Senate report: Apple claims subsidiaries with no taxing jurisdiction</a> (Grant Gross, IDG News Service)

**** Review: PDF Editor Pro 3 A Pricey Step Up From Preview For PDF Editing ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038810/review-pdf-editor-pro-3-a-pricey-step-up-from-preview-for-pdf-editing.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> PDF Editor Pro is appealing as a PDF editor in that if offers OCR and text editing options not available in Apple’s native Preview app. However, it’s not nearly as easy to use as Preview and its OCR capabilities aren’t as good as those found in other applications. It’s not a bad PDF editing application, but you may be better off looking elsewhere for your PDF editing needs.

**** How iPads Are Revolutionising Social Games ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/may/20/ipad-social-games?>
Cara Ellison, The Guardian

**** Inventory List For iPhone Review: Manage Your Stuff Simply And Easily ****
<http://www.imore.com/inventory-list-iphone-review-track-and-manage-literally-everything-you-own>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

**** Argument With Myself ****
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n10/mike-jay/argument-with-myself?src=longreads>
Mike Jay, London Review Of Books

> Memory creates our identity, but it also exposes the illusion of a coherent self: a memory is not a thing but an act that alters and rearranges even as it retrieves. Although some of its operations can be trained to an astonishing pitch, most take place autonomously, beyond the reach of the conscious mind. As we age, it distorts and foreshortens: present experience becomes harder to impress on the mind, and the long-forgotten past seems to draw closer; <i>University Challenge</i> gets easier, remembering what you came downstairs for gets harder. Yet if we were somehow to freeze our memory at the youthful peak of its powers, around our late twenties, we would not create a polished version of ourselves analogous to a youthful body, but an early, scrappy draft composed of childhood memories and school-learning, barely recognisable to our older selves.

**** What's The Best Meal I've Ever Eaten? ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/may/18/best-meal-ever-jay-rayner>
Jay Rayner, The Observer