[MyAppleMenu] May 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 17 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Turnado Review ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/turnado_review>
David Bledny, Mac Life

**** Apple Mobile Devices Cleared For Use On U.S. Military Networks ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-17/apple-mobile-devices-cleared-for-use-on-u-s-military-networks.html>
Nick Taborek & Tony Capaccio, Bloomberg

> The Defense Department said in a statement today that it has approved the use of Cupertino, California-based Apple’s products running a version of the iOS 6 mobile platform.

**** Microsoft Improves Skype On The Mac ****
<http://betanews.com/2013/05/17/microsoft-improves-skype-on-the-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed+-+bn+-+Betanews+Full+Content+Feed+-+BN>
Nick Peers, Beta News

> Version 6.4 is focused on improving Skype’s instant messaging features for better usability, while also introducing support for Simplified Chinese.

**** Over 15 Cool Ways To Personalize Your Mac ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/customization/over-15-cool-ways-to-personalize-your-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Jacob Penderworth, Mactuts+

**** Appidemic: Mosaique For iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch ****
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/116832/appidemic-mosaique-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+appletell+Appletell>
Krisette Capati, TechnologyTell

> It is way past my bedtime, but I’ve been caught off-guard by an addiction Mosaique. This minimalist puzzle game brings you to another dimension of sands and blocks. It’s a must-have game you’ll definitely be fond of.

**** Review: Make A Visual Display For Your Data With Status Board For iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038947/review-make-a-visual-display-for-your-data-with-status-board-for-ipad.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

**** Dots For iPhone ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13770?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

**** What To Do When You Have More Content Than Room On Your iOS Device ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038818/what-to-do-when-you-have-more-content-than-room-on-your-ios-device.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> With creative syncing, and using iTunes’ checkboxes, you can accomplish what you want.

**** Mac Gems: Delicious Library 3 Lets You Track Your Movies, Music, And More ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038731/mac-gems-delicious-library-3-lets-you-track-your-movies-music-and-more.html#tk.rss_all>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> Like its predecessors, Delicious Library 3 helps you track your media, and it makes a real attempt to keep up with the digital nature of today’s virtual bookshelves. The app still needs some work in that area, however, so it continues to appeal the most to those whose media collections are heavy in physical forms: books, albums, and DVDs.

**** Five Dictionary Tricks I Can't Live Without ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038420/five-dictionary-tricks-i-cant-live-without.html>
Scholle Sawyer McFarland, Macworld

> Whether you need to know what a word means or just how to spell it, the days of leafing through hefty paper dictionaries are gone. But few Mac users really know how to make the most of OS X’s built-in Dictionary app. Today I’ll show you five tricks for doing just that.

**** Researchers Spot OS X Malware Spoofing Developer Credentials ****
<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2268744/researchers-spot-os-x-malware-spoofing-developer-credentials>
Shaun Nichols, V3.co.uk

**** Ways To Hide Applications In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57583216-263/ways-to-hide-applications-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you're looking for ways to focus better on your work, taking advantage of Apple's application-hiding features may help.

**** Tim Cook Says US-made Mac Will Be New Model In An Existing Family ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/tim-cook-says-us-made-mac-will-be-in-an-existing-family/>
Jon Fingas, Engadget

**** Our School In A Box - First Deployment In South-East Asia ****
<http://attila.tumblr.com/post/50555706044/our-school-in-a-box-first-deployment-in-south-east>
David Mendels, Attila's Den

> I found some clues and hopes in the works of a non-profit, named “School In A Box”: an Apple education representative in Asia pointed me to the head of Apple Education who addressed me to them, so that I could discuss some of these questions with someone who had already thought about that. These amazing teachers from Ireland were passionate about trekking and new technologies, which led them to start a project whereby they would bring to schools in the third world all the tech you need to teach in a box. It effectively removed one hurdle from the past attempts at doing that much — the OLPC failed because of two main reasons: the absence of power and the disconnect between teacher and students when you put a laptop between them. So, a typical SIAB solution would have: solar panels, a power generator and accumulator, a wifi base station, a projector, iPads, all packed in a military-grade box. Cool, and it gives an idea of where you’re going. I contacted them around Christmas 2012.

**** How To Add Text To Photos Easily Using Preview In Mac OS X ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/16/add-text-to-photos-mac-preview/>
OS X Daily

**** Apple To Open New Store On Union Square ****
<http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/05/16/apple-to-open-new-store-on-union-square/>
San Francisco Chronicles

> Apple has submitted plans to open a new retail store on Union Square, replacing its nine-year-old store at Stockton and Ellis streets a few blocks away.

**** The State Of Apple's Location Services And User Privacy ****
<http://www.imore.com/state-apples-location-services-and-user-privacy>
Nick Arnott, iMore

**** Billions: How Exactly Do Apple And Google Count App Downloads? ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05/16/billions-how-exactly-do-apple-and-google-count-app-downloads/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+(The+Next+Web+All+Stories)>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

> Both Apple and Google tabulate unique downloads of apps per user account. This means that they count only one download of an app no matter how many devices that you install that app on after you purchase it. Neither company counts updates in its app download numbers. These are purely single downloads from their stores.

**** CW Strikes Deal With Apple To Bring Content To Apple TV ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/cw-strikes-deal-with-apple-to-bring-content-to-apple-tv/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

**** Apple On Offense Over $100B Offshore Stash ****
<http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/apple-tim-cook-congress-tax-91501.html>
Anna Palmer and Tony Romm, Politico

> CEO Tim Cook is coming to Washington to testify in front of a panel of senators about stashing more than $100 billion overseas, rather than sending a lower-level executive.

> He will offer Congress Apple’s ideas for comprehensive tax reform — an unusual move for the company into the world of policy.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apple-ceo-cook-to-propose-tax-overhaul/2013/05/16/d8e9e6a6-be4e-11e2-89c9-3be8095fe767_story.html">Apple CEO Tim Cook to propose tax overhaul</a> (Cecilia Kang, Washington Post): In an interview with The Washington Post, Cook said he will present specific proposals aimed at encouraging companies to bring back foreign earnings to the United States and invest that money injob creation, as well as research and development. He will speak at a Senate hearing Tuesday that is taking aim at companies that shift profits overseas to lower their tax bills.

**** iTunes 11.0.3 Enhances MiniPlayer, Tweaks Album Options ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038908/itunes-11-0-3-enhances-miniplayer-tweaks-album-options.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Among the changes in 11.0.3 is a revamped MiniPlayer, which now features a progress bar, complete with draggable playhead. The audio output button, which now uses a speaker icon instead of Apple’s traditional AirPlay icon, is also now visible even when you’re not hovering over the window.

**** Review: DevonAgent Pro 3.5 A Powerful Search Engine And Browser Combo ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038661/review-devonagent-pro-3-5-a-powerful-search-engine-and-browser-combo.html#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> For serious, detailed Web research, especially when you have to find data that’s not accessible in conventional search engines, DevonAgent Pro can cut through clutter and help you make sense of complex information. It’s unlikely to replace Safari, Chrome, or Firefox as your everyday browser, but for what it does best, no other tool can compare.

**** Now You See It: How Apple's Retina Display Is A Boon To Accessibility ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038890/now-you-see-it-how-apples-retina-display-is-a-boon-to-accessibility.html#tk.rss_all>
Steven Aquino, Macworld

> As a visually impaired user, my effective use of these devices depends on the quality and brightness of the screen. In order for me to achieve optimal use—especially on the iPhone, the device I use the most—I’ve found that I really need a Retina display set to maximum brightness.

**** Welcome To The Programmable World ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/internet-of-things/all/>
Bill Wasik, Wired

> In our houses, cars, and factories, we’re surrounded by tiny, intelligent devices that capture data about how we live and what we do. Now they are beginning to talk to one another. Soon we’ll be able to choreograph them to respond to our needs, solve our problems, even save our lives.

**** Welcome To Google Island ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/on-google-island/>
Mat Honan, Wired

> “I think as technologists we should have some safe places where we can try out some new things and figure out,” he had said. “What is the effect on society? What’s the effect on people? Without having to deploy it into the normal world.”

> I realized I was the only one aboard, and the boat was driving itself.

**** How Do You Write About Life When It's Lived On Computers? ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/may/17/write-life-lived-on-computers?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Damien Walter, The Guardian