[MyAppleMenu] Mar 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 23 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Little Things Forever For iPhone And iPad Review ****
<http://www.imore.com/little-things-forever-iphone-and-ipad-review>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

**** Apple Rolls Out Fix For Password Reset Security Hole, iForgot Site Back Up ****
<http://www.imore.com/apple-rolls-out-fix-password-reset-security-hole-iforgot-site-back>
Nick Arnott, IMore

> Apple’s iForgot password reset page is now back online, and iMore has verified that the security hole, discovered earlier today in Apple’s password reset page, has been closed.

**** Pinterest For iOS Updated, Lets You See What Others Have Pinned ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/03/22/pinterest-for-ios-updated-lets-you-see-what-others-have-pinned/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** Apple’s Wrongheaded, Dangerous Censorship Of Satirical <i>Sweatshop</i> For iPad ****
<http://techland.time.com/2013/03/22/apples-wrongheaded-dangerous-censorship-of-satirical-sweatshop-for-ipad/>
Matt Peckham, Time

**** Google Reader Who? Feedly Became Top News App On iPhone, iPad & Android This Week; New App Now Awaiting Approval ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/22/feedly-winning-on-mobile/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

**** Wish Lists, Upcoming-track Alerts, Adding Comments To Multiple Tracks, And More ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2030665/wish-lists-upcoming-track-alerts-adding-comments-to-multiple-tracks-and-more.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Apple Blames Rights Holders For Big Mark-ups ****
<http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-blames-rights-holders-for-big-markups-20130322-2gleb.html>
The Age

> Mr King, who is Apple's vice-president for Australia, New Zealand and south Asia, said the price of movies, music and TV shows on iTunes was ''based on the wholesale prices which are set through negotiated contracts with the record labels, movie studios and TV networks''.

> ''In Australia, they have often set a higher wholesale price than the price of similar content in the United States.''

**** 7 Simple Window Management Keyboard Shortcuts To Improve Workflow In Mac OS X ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/03/22/5-simple-window-management-keyboard-shortcuts-to-improve-workflow-in-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

**** Apple Blocks Ad-injecting Mac Trojan, Yontoo ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/apple-blocks-ad-injecting-mac-trojan-yontoo/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** More On Why I Won’t Use Google Keep: It’s Not Personal, It’s Business ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/03/22/more-on-why-i-wont-use-google-keep-its-not-personal-its-business/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

> I am far more likely to believe in and use products that are the main focus of the company behind them.

**** Apple Now Labeling Freemium Apps In App Store ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/03/22/apple-now-labeling-freemium-apps-in-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

> Apple has started to add labels to all fermium apps in the App Store. As of now, these labels are only viewable on the desktop version of the iTunes Store but should soon rollout to mobile users in the iOS applications as well. Shoppers can view these labels directly under the purchase button on the app’s information page. The label simply states that the app ”Offers In-App Purchases.”

**** Major Security Hole Allows Apple Passwords To Be Reset With Only Email Address, Date Of Birth ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/22/4136242/major-security-hole-allows-apple-id-passwords-reset-with-email-date-of-birth>
Chris Welch, The Verge

> Apple yesterday rolled out two-step verification, a security measure that promises to further shield Apple ID and iCloud accounts from being hijacked. Unfortunately, today a new exploit has been discovered that affects all customers who <i>haven't</i> yet enabled the new feature. It allows anyone with your email address and date of birth to reset your password — using Apple's own tools.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/22/4137068/apple-confirms-security-threat-working-on-fix">Apple Confirms Password Vulnerability, Says It's 'Working On A Fix' </a> (Chris Welch, The Verge): Apple has acknowledged the Apple ID reset exploit we reported on earlier today and is currently working to resolve the issue.

**** One Of Us ****
<http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/essays/one-of-us.php?page=all>
John Jeremiah Sullivan, Lapham's Quarterly

> These are stimulating times for anyone interested in questions of animal consciousness. On what seems like a monthly basis, scientific teams announce the results of new experiments, adding to a preponderance of evidence that we’ve been underestimating animal minds, even those of us who have rated them fairly highly.

**** A Tale Of Two Londons ****
<http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2013/04/mysterious-residents-one-hyde-park-london>
Nicholas Shaxson, Vanity Fair

> Who really lives at One Hyde Park, called the world’s most expensive residential building? Its mostly absentee owners, hiding behind offshore corporations based in tax havens, provide a portrait of the new global super-wealthy.

**** Beautiful Losers: 'Middle Men: Stories,' By Jim Gavin ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/books/review/middle-men-stories-by-jim-gavin.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Marisa Silver, New York Times

> A generous humanity and a fond wit animate Jim Gavin’s wonderful first collection, “Middle Men.” Gavin’s stories revolve around a familiar theme — men searching for identity and meaning — but they’re distinguished by his more specific concerns: how work shapes lives, and the differences in the way the young and the old confront the humbling problem of ambition and success.

**** ‘Salt Sugar Fat: How The Food Giants Hooked Us’ By Michael Moss ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/salt-sugar-fat-how-the-food-giants-hooked-us-by-michael-moss/2013/03/22/50d0dc06-8768-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Hanah Wallace, Washington Post