[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 18 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Does Apple Discriminate Against Chinese Consumers? ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/03/does-apple-discriminate-against-chinese-consumers/274092/>
Rachel Lu, The Atlantic

> If CCTV's marketing department is indeed playing hardball and Apple flinches, Chinese consumers could soon see a wave of Apple advertisements on state television. Alternatively, Apple could stand firm against the accusations. That would risk further backlash, but Apple may calculate that the PR setback and concomitant online venting are more smoke than fire.

Also:
• <a href="http://shanghaiist.com/2013/03/18/cctvs_apple_expose_backfires.php">CCTV's Apple exposé backfires after shoddy attempt at astroturfing</a> (SHanghaiist): Suspicions were raised that an astroturf campaign might be taking place.

**** Craft Your Own Animated GIFs With These Tools ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2030785/craft-your-own-animated-gifs-with-these-tools.html>
Chris McVeigh, TechHive

**** How To Make iOS Autocorrect Work For You ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2031004/how-to-make-ios-autocorrect-work-for-you.html#tk.rss_all>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

> Autocorrect is a boon from the computer gods for anyone engaged in tiny-screen typing, but it's also the bane of every iPhone and iPad user’s existence. You can accept the gift and avoid the grief by paying attention to a few details.

**** Scrivener Temporarily Withdrawn From Sale On The Mac App Store ****
<http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=348>
The Cellar Door

> The reason we have taken this action is that the current version available in the Mac App Store, Scrivener 2.4, will not install or run on OS X 10.6 and Apple will not allow us to release a bug-fix for this problem in a timely manner.

**** High Priest Of App Design, At Home In Philly ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887324392804578358730990873670-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwNzExNDcyWj.html>
Jessica E. Lessin, Wall Street Journal

> Mr. Brichter was the first developer to create or help popularize app features such as pulling on a touch screen to refresh a page, panels that slide out from the side of a screen and the "cell swipe," which is swiping to uncover a list of hidden buttons.

> Those actions are now standard features in many popular apps, becoming part of the daily routines of millions of people. The "pull-to-refresh" feature, which Mr. Brichter built in 2009, is woven in software such as an app made by content-sharing site Pinterest Inc. and the mail app from Apple Inc.

**** Hushed App Now Available On iOS Devices ****
<http://www.t3.com/news/hushed-app-now-available-on-ios-devices>
T3

> ushed allows users to obtain as many disposable phone numbers as they want without the need for a 'burner' phone or multiple devices.

**** 4 Essential Menu Bar Utilities For Mac OS X ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/03/17/4-essential-menu-bar-utilities-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

**** Flickr Updates Its iOS App Enabling Hashtags To Be Added To Any Photo’s Title, Description, Or Search ****