[MyAppleMenu] Mar 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 16 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Papers 2 (For Mac) ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416658,00.asp>
William Fenton, PC Magazine

> Papers rests near the top of its software category when it comes to its integrated Web repository search, elegant citations, and inviting interface. Some striking omissions—a temperamental social network, un-social integration with other document managers, and non-existent cloud backup—place it somewhere in the middle of the pack.

**** Arturia iMini (For iPad) ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416663,00.asp>
Jamie Lendino, PC Magazine

> Forty years on, it's a fantastic-sounding recreation of the first popular analog synthesiser and a clear Editors' Choice.

**** Address 'Update Failed' When Installing OS X 10.8.3 ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57574522-263/address-update-failed-when-installing-os-x-10.8.3/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** How To Disable iMessage Alerts For People That Aren't In Your Contacts ****
<http://www.imore.com/how-disable-imessage-alerts-people-dont-appear-your-contacts>
Allyson Kazmucha, IMore

**** Apple Purges OS X Flaw That Let Java Apps Run When Plugin Was Disabled ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/apple-purges-os-x-flaw-that-let-java-apps-run-when-plugin-was-disabled/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Apple has updated OS X to patch more than a dozen security flaws, including one that allowed attackers to exploit Web-based Java flaws even when end users had disabled the widely abused browser plugin.

**** Apple Not Ready To Kill OS X Snow Leopard Yet ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237632/Apple_not_ready_to_kill_OS_X_Snow_Leopard_yet?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> On Thursday, Apple shipped Security Update 2013-001, which patched 11 vulnerabilities in the client and server versions of OS X 10.6, better known as Snow Leopard.

**** Teach Your Old iPod New Tricks: Six Unauthorized Upgrades ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2030492/teach-your-old-ipod-new-tricks-six-unauthorized-upgrades.html>
Benj Edwards, TechHive

**** Mac Gems: Characters Makes It Easy To Type Special Characters And Symbols ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2031005/mac-gems-characters-makes-it-easy-to-type-special-characters-and-symbols.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Dropbox Acquires Mailbox ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2030994/dropbox-acquires-mailbox.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Dropbox writes that the Mailbox team’s “calling was the same as ours at Dropbox—to solve life’s hidden problems and reimagine the things we do every day. We all quickly realized that together we could save millions of people a lot of pain.”

**** Lost Letters: 'The Missing Ink,' By Philip Hensher ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/books/review/the-missing-ink-by-philip-hensher.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Abigail Meisel, New York Times

> Bemoaning the decline of the written hand smacks of fogyism, but the British novelist Philip Hensher, who is also a columnist for The Independent and an arts critic for The Spectator, enlivens his musings about penmanship’s demise with sharp insights and wry wit.

**** Five Easy Pieces: 'A Possible Life' By Sebastian Faulks ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/books/review/a-possible-life-by-sebastian-faulks.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nancy Kline, New York Times

> Generation after generation, we are linked via the jumble of atoms that each of us is composed of, atoms that, with “a touch of an unsought grace,” remember where they’ve been and, after we die, find their way into someone else’s memory.

**** A Tale For The Time Being By Ruth Ozeki – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/15/tale-time-being-ozecki-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Liz Jensen, The Guardian