[MyAppleMenu] Jun 8, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 8 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Slow Feeds Extends Its RSS Aggregator Support Ahead Of Google Reader Shutdown ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/slow-feeds-extends-its-rss-aggregator-support-ahead-of-google-reader-shutdown>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> In addition to extending the app’s feed aggregator support, the latest update to Slow Feeds extends the app’s sharing and third-party browser support on iOS 6.

*** Nickelodeon's SpongeBob Moves In Lets You Build Your Very Own Bikini Bottom ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/nickelodeons-spongebob-moves-in-lets-you-build-your-very-own-bikini-bottom>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Marvel Pinball ***
<http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Marvel+Pinball/review.asp?c=51440>
Mike Rose, Pocket Gamer

> If you're a pinball fanatic, this is well worth a swing.

*** REVIEW: Sorcery! (iPad) ***
<http://fox43.com/2013/06/07/review-sorcery-ipad/#axzz2VatOmxPz>
Fox43

*** Finally, Three Ways To Automate iOS App Testing ***
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3012626/open-company/finally-three-ways-to-automate-ios-app-testing?partner=rss>
Brad Heintz, James Paolantonio And Aaron Schildkrout, Fast Company

> Our experience building HowAboutWe Dating for iPhone and iPad has shown that TDD and CI on iOS are well worth the effort. The tools are young but rapidly maturing. It is possible! Our move to a genuine culture of TDD on iOS has transformed the quality of our software and how quickly and predictably we can deliver it. So we're believers that any organization not already employing these practices should dive in and measure the results for themselves.

*** WaPost Backtracks On Claim Tech Companies ‘Participate Knowingly’ In PRISM Data Collection ***
<http://thenextweb.com/us/2013/06/07/wapost-backtracks-on-claim-tech-companies-participate-knowingly-in-prism-data-collection/>
Jon Russell, The Next Web

> The phrase ”participate knowingly” has been removed from the article, a new passage suggests the firms were unaware of PRISM.

> This new text, added to the denials from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo and others, suggests that the NSA did not have direct access to the data systems. That initial suggestion was an assumption that the Post made based on the contents of the leaked slides.

Also:
• <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/nsa-prism-dissecting-technology-companies-adamant-denial-involvement/story?id=19350095#.UbKpqJXXct9">Dissecting Big Tech's Denial of Involvement in NSA's PRISM Spying Program</a> (Joanna Stern, ABC News)

*** Mac Gems: Scapple Combines A Text Editor With A Mind-mapping App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039454/mac-gems-scapple-combines-a-text-editor-with-a-mind-mapping-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Josh Centers, Macworld

*** Apple Updates WWDC App With Uninterrupted Videos And More Ahead Of Monday’s Event ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/07/apple-updates-wwdc-app-with-uninterrupted-videos-and-more-ahead-of-mondays-event/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** How We Work Together ***
<http://inessential.com/2013/06/07/how_we_work_together>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> Since I’m always interested in hearing what other teams use to work together and ship their software, I figure I should list what we use to work together on Vesper.

*** Siri "Eyes Free" Mode Coming To 2014 BMWs ***
<http://www.imore.com/siri-eyes-free-mode-coming-2014-bmws>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> BMW announced this week that 2014 models equipped with its iDrive 4.2 interface will include Siri Hands Free mode, making it possible to pair an iPhone with your car and use Siri without ever taking your hands off the wheel.

*** iOS 7 Confirmed: New Banners Up At Moscone West ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/ios-7-confirmed-new-banners-up-at-moscone-west/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Using a very simple layout compared to last year, Apple is simply saying “7″ on the banner that’s being put up at Moscone West right now.

*** Comedy Central's Stand-Up App Puts Comics On Your iPhone ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/07/comedy-centrals-stand-up-app-puts-comics-on-your-iphone/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** Stephen King's New 'Joyland' Mixes Chills With Amusement Park Thrills ***
<http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-stephen-king-joyland-20130609,0,799018.story>
David Ulin, Los Angeles Times

> Such a double vision — the 21-year-old actively living through his experience while his older incarnation reflects on it — gives the book an unexpected perspective, even as it reassures us that whatever happens in the novel, Devin will come out alive.

*** The Genius Of Getting It Wrong: 'Brilliant Blunders,' By Mario Livio ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/books/review/brilliant-blunders-by-mario-livio.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Carl Zimmer, New York Times

> Science is a mess. It’s shaped by the time and place in which scientists work. Scientists choose to do a certain experiment or interpret an observation for many reasons. “More than 20 percent of Einstein’s original papers contain mistakes of some sort,” Livio writes. “In several cases, even though he made mistakes along the way, the final result is still correct. This is often the hallmark of great theorists: They are guided by intuition more than by formalism.”

*** My Grandfather Invented The Reuben Sandwich. Right? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/magazine/my-grandfather-invented-the-reuben-sandwich-right.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Elizabeth Weil, New York Times

> Every family has a claim to fame. A friend’s great-grandfather (times 16) was king of Poland for a day in 1586, according to family lore. My neighbor claims he’s related to the man who punched Houdini in the stomach, which may have killed him. My grandfather invented the Reuben sandwich. I’ve had some doubts since seeing the movie “Quiz Show” in 1994, but it’s what I choose to believe.

*** Zoo Story ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/07/zoo-story-am-homes-womens-prize-fiction?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
AM Homes, The Guardian