[MyAppleMenu] Jul 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 20 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** How To Reset An OS X Account Password With An Apple ID ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57594580-263/how-to-reset-an-os-x-account-password-with-an-apple-id/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** Apple Confirms HopStop Acquisition ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130719/apple-confirms-hopstop-acquisition/>
John Paczkowski and Liz Gannes, All Things D

> HopStop’s area of cartographic expertise: Mass transit directions, something Apple’s mapping service doesn’t currently offer.

*** 'Rovio Account' Lets Angry Birds Fans Sync Games Across Devices ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/19/rovio-account-lets-angry-birds-fans-sync-games-across-devices/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** Best Email Apps For iPhone: Mailbox, Triage, Boxer, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-alternative-mail-clients-iphone-mailbox-triage-boxer-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Why Have Apple's Dev Center And Forums Have Been Down For More Than 24 Hours? ***
<http://www.infoworld.com/t/application-development/why-have-apples-dev-center-and-forums-have-been-down-more-24-hours-223112>
Ted Samson, InfoWorld

> Apple has said only that the Dev Center is "undergoing maintenance" but hasn't provided any details as to what is happening or how long the sites will be down.

Also:
• <a href="http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/19/apple-says-developer-memberships-apps-will-not-expire-due-to-unexpected-maintenance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29">Apple says developer memberships and apps will not expire due to unexpected maintenance duration</a> (Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac)

*** The Evolution Of Technology In The Classroom ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13944?rss>
David Rabinowitz, TidBITS

> If you haven’t set foot in a classroom for years, you might think that educational technology still means desktop computers. They’re still commonplace, but newer and more sophisticated devices are also gaining ground.

*** Hands-on: VLC, The Prodigal Media Player, Returns To iOS ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044766/hands-on-vlc-the-prodigal-media-player-returns-to-ios.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> As nice as it is to have the option of something like VLC, the vast majority of users probably will never have need for the app—but it’s good to know it’s there.

*** Save The Movie! ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/07/hollywood_and_blake_snyder_s_screenwriting_book_save_the_cat.html>
Peter Suderman, Slate

> The 2005 screenwriting book that’s taken over Hollywood—and made every movie feel the same.

*** Cool, Yet Warm ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jun/20/janet-malcolm-cool-yet-warm/>
Zoë Heller, The New York Review Of Books

> But if literal messes appall Malcolm, they also fascinate and attract her.

*** Kill Your Darlings ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/books/review/kill-your-darlings.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Steven Rinella, New York Times

> As an avid big-game hunter and a professional writer, I’m often asked how I reconcile these seemingly contradictory passions. It’s easy to imagine what people have in mind: the contemplative author in a lamp-lit study juxtaposed with the wilderness brute, arms sunk to the elbows in animal viscera. While I recognize the gulf that separates these two images, the skills required for hunting and writing are remarkably similar, even complementary.

*** ‘Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside The Center’ By Ray Monk ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/robert-oppenheimer-a-life-inside-the-center-by-ray-monk/2013/07/19/edd4e810-e3f4-11e2-a11e-c2ea876a8f30_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Michael J. Neufeld, Washington Post