[MyAppleMenu] Jan 28, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 28 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** How To Create Redundant Time Machine Backups ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2026503/how-to-create-redundant-time-machine-backups.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> If your Mac is running Mountain Lion, it is easier. It goes like this.

> Designate another volume as a second backup destination—a hard drive attached to your Mac or a network volume, for example.

**** Bedtime Story Apps For Little Readers ****
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/gudmundsen/2013/01/25/kid-tech-bedtime-story-apps/1852441/?>
Jinny Gudmundsen, USA Today

**** Apple Has A Porn Problem, And It's About To Get Worse ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/27/3922500/apple-has-a-porn-problem-and-its-about-to-get-worse>
Joshua Topolsky, The Verge

> But the truth is that Vine doesn't have a problem with porn, at least not one that isn't shared by any other social media app. Apple has a problem: its App Store's puritanical, unevenly-enforced policies for adult content. Vine is just today's example.

Previous:
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/22/3904356/500px-iso500-photo-apps-pulled-from-itunes-allegedly-over-nudes">500px Photo Apps Pulled From iOS App Store Over Nude Photos</a> (Adi Robertson, The Verge)

**** How To Get The Most Out Of Siri Dictation ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/01/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-siri-dictation>
Dom Esposito, AppAdvice

**** Please Feed The Meters: The Next Parking Revolution ****
<http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/please-feed-the-meters/?src=longreads>
Hunter Oatman-Stanford, Collectors Weekly

> There’s plenty to hate about driving—traffic jams, car accidents, speeding tickets—not to mention the endless headache of finding a spot to park. So what if you discovered an invention that could wean us from our vehicles, combating suburban sprawl and making city streets less dangerous, congested, and polluted? Well, that device has been around for nearly 80 years: It’s called the parking meter.

**** Zusya On The Roof ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/02/04/130204fi_fiction_krauss>
Nicole Krauss, New Yorker

**** Hey "Ladies": The Unlikely Revivial Of A Fusty Old Label ****
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112188/how-word-lady-has-evolved>
Ann Friedman, New Republic

> The word “lady” has become core vocabulary of feminism in the age of irony.

**** Amanda McKittrick Ros, The Worst Novelist In History ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/01/was_amanda_mckittrick_ros_the_worst_novelist_in_history.single.html>
Mark O'Connell, Slate

> Who was the worst novelist in history? A definitive answer is probably impossible, given that total artistic failure traditionally results in total obscurity. But it would be foolish to even consider the question without taking into account a very notable exception to that rule—a schoolmistress from Northern Ireland whose novels were so uniquely and thrillingly terrible that, in the early years of the last century, she became an ironic <i>cause célèbre</i> among the cultural luminaries of her time. Her story gives us some perspective on what we tend to think of as a uniquely contemporary phenomenon: the ironic appreciation of bad art—of monkey-faced frescos and multichapter R&B melodramas. This terrible novelist was a sort of early avatar of the spirit of the Epic Fail.

**** The Quiet Ones ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/opinion/sunday/the-quiet-ones.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
Tim Kreider, New York Times